• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So, how much you got?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How much space you have total (main machine)?

• Up to 20GB

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • 21GB-40GB

Votes: 100 8.9%
  • 41GB-60GB

Votes: 71 6.3%
  • 61GB-80GB

Votes: 145 12.9%
  • 81GB-100GB

Votes: 75 6.6%
  • 101GB-120GB

Votes: 139 12.3%
  • 121GB-140GB

Votes: 53 4.7%
  • 141GB-160GB

Votes: 74 6.6%
  • 160GB-180GB

Votes: 72 6.4%
  • 181GB or above

Votes: 380 33.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumpjumper5200 said:
And SO expensive, SO noisy, SO much of a chance for something to go wrong. :D
True. For a normal harddrive, you can get 1 Block / unit of time. In this setup, you get 15 blocks / unit of time, not including the 15krpm speed boost.. that's 2x or 3x the speed of most other drives, and the better seek time. SCSI drives are also made to last, unlike most IDE drives. 15k RPM drives are made to take constant 24/7 read+write punnishment. You'd max out an Ultra320 bus quite easily. Unfortunately, your PCI bus @ 64bit would only be able to do about 264Megabytes/s :(

su root said:

True. For a normal harddrive, you can get 1 Block / unit of time. In this setup, you get 15 blocks / unit of time, not including the 15krpm speed boost.. that's 2x or 3x the speed of most other drives, and the better seek time. SCSI drives are also made to last, unlike most IDE drives. 15k RPM drives are made to take constant 24/7 read+write punnishment. You'd max out an Ultra320 bus quite easily. Unfortunately, your PCI bus @ 64bit would only be able to do about 264Megabytes/s :(

In actuality, SCSI and SCSI raid make little difference in desktop applications.
In fact, sysmark and other broad benchmarks proggies show little to no advantage using SCSI. But, when you have a server with 1000 page requests coming in per second, SCSI is 10x better then IDE.

Personally, the cost, noice, and lack of improvement nullify SCSI as a desktop tech for me.

Malakai said:
In actuality, SCSI and SCSI raid make little difference in desktop applications.
In fact, sysmark and other broad benchmarks proggies show little to no advantage using SCSI. But, when you have a server with 1000 page requests coming in per second, SCSI is 10x better then IDE.

Personally, the cost, noice, and lack of improvement nullify SCSI as a desktop tech for me.
Depends who we're talking about. If it was a "normal user", like my parents, who need my assistance to set the clock on a VCR, then IDE is fine. But for someone like me, who would be doing complex things, SCSI has it's advantages. On top of having your programs load faster, having faster reads and writes, it also takes less resources when copying files within the bus. So a nice SCSI burner will leave my system relatively untaxed, compared to an IDE model. Also, SCSI drives are made better, and will last longer, because of the fact that they were made for server systems. They usually come with better warranties aswell. 15k RPM isn't for desktop use, 7200RPM would be suitable for that.

su root said:

Depends who we're talking about. If it was a "normal user", like my parents, who need my assistance to set the clock on a VCR, then IDE is fine. But for someone like me, who would be doing complex things, SCSI has it's advantages. On top of having your programs load faster, having faster reads and writes, it also takes less resources when copying files within the bus. So a nice SCSI burner will leave my system relatively untaxed, compared to an IDE model. Also, SCSI drives are made better, and will last longer, because of the fact that they were made for server systems. They usually come with better warranties aswell. 15k RPM isn't for desktop use, 7200RPM would be suitable for that.

Very true, but the benefits arent worth 3-4x the price or more per gig of storage IMO, not with the storage needs my server requires

Malakai said:

Very true, but the benefits arent worth 3-4x the price or more per gig of storage IMO, not with the storage needs my server requires

thats why most of the time scsi drives are used for web serving where you dont need massive amounts of storage and/or desktop applications where storage isnt a high priority, for someone like me getting a 5400rpm and more GB drive to save a few $$ is worth it b/c i dont need 7200rpm for archiving files.

For pure space, 5400 rpm IDE drives are the best/cheapest. I'm talking my system drive. 10-15 gigs of really fast hardware SCSI RAID to install my OS, applications and games on would be very nice. For storage, IDE is fine.

well, 356+gb of anime about 110+gb of mp3's and other stuff :) got a 250gb coming in next week so i can continue to expand my anime collection

PYROMANIAC said:

thats why most of the time scsi drives are used for web serving where you dont need massive amounts of storage and/or desktop applications where storage isnt a high priority, for someone like me getting a 5400rpm and more GB drive to save a few $$ is worth it b/c i dont need 7200rpm for archiving files.

I still use 7200 RPM 8MB cache drives (WD's) because I serve all my files. I like to share the wealth.

220 GB Total:

1 x 100 GB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM
1 x 80 GB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM
1 x 40 GB Maxtor DiamondMax D740X-6L 7200 RPM

Makes for storing software, movies, downloads & databases of images very easy.

SimGuy said:
220 GB Total:

1 x 100 GB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM
1 x 80 GB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM
1 x 40 GB Maxtor DiamondMax D740X-6L 7200 RPM

Makes for storing software[juarez], movies[pr0n], downloads[juarez and pr0n] & databases of images[nekkid pix] very easy.

Fixed;)

ive got a Western Digital 80gb 8mb cache "SE"
and a backup IBM 20gb so i voted 100gb

I will probably get rid of the 20gb and replace it with a 80 or 100gb HD. One hard drive for downloading and the other for installing games. :D

360GB (3 x 120GB) Western Digital Special Edition for primary system.

80GB WDSE in secondary

20GB WD in third

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back