• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

altec

polka dot ninja
I need help... please!!!!???!!!

I have a stock Athlon Xp 2200+ currently. I was looking to unlock it(i already have a kit) and i was just wondering what a "safe" first overclock should be. i was looking to try to get it up to 2.0GHz, but i dont know if that will require voltage changes or anything...can i get a few suggestions?:mad:

Last edited:
Im not sure what you are wanting....a safe overclock? Any overclock is relativly safe if you keep a watch on your vital signs. If yo uwant 2ghz, then go for 2 ghz......Just make sure you have good enough cooling to handle what you are trying to do and you will be fine. Its not like if you ovreclock the chip too far its going to just blow up or something. That would only happen if your temperatures go thru the roof and/or you are pushing a ton of voltage, upwards of 2v etc.

Re: I need help... please!!!!???!!!

altec said:
I have a stock Athlon Xp 2200+ currently. I was looking to unlock it(i already have a kit) and i was just wondering what a "safe" first overclock should be. i was looking to try to get it up to 2.0GHz, but i dont know if that will require voltage changes or anything...can i get a few suggestions?:mad:

The idea of a 'safe overclock' should be thought of independently from any speed (frequency) of the chip. Here's what I mean:

1) A safe overclock consists of:
....(a) Running a 'safe' voltage. An absolute safe voltage is within the CPU manufacturers spec.
....(b) Running a 'safe' temperature.
....(c) Running your CPU at it's maximum stable frequency obtainable.
**AMD®'s specs for model 10 Athlon XP

Now, both (a) & (b) affect (c) in terms of stability and maximum overclock from stock rating.
• A higher Vcore voltage aids in a higher attainable frequency.
• A lower core temperature also aids in a higher attainable frequency.
Both (a) & (b) each have a point of diminishing returns though.

-In summary-
If (a) and (b) are at a safe setting, then (c) will end up being a safe setting also.
Good luck with your overclock!

-PC

Last edited:
So, if i have a Volcano 9 cooling wise, what kind of overclock can i get without drastically changing the voltage... And is it safer to change the multiplier, or the frequency? i still do not totally understand the difference, i need a little guidence...im still new to this. Thanks

I am also already having some slight instability issues, and everything in my machine is still stock. i am running a Soyo Dragon KT400 Mobo, Athlon XP 2200, Radeon 9700 Pro, 80 GB WD800JB, and an Audigy2 Sound Card...are there any conflicts in this setup? i get frequent lockups when i do anything that requires a good ammount of graphics acceleration, and sometimes a random reboot. I need some help.:mad:

altec said:
So, if i have a Volcano 9 cooling wise, what kind of overclock can i get without drastically changing the voltage... And is it safer to change the multiplier, or the frequency? i still do not totally understand the difference, i need a little guidence...im still new to this. Thanks

As you'll eventually read around the forums you'll notice that a lot of things determine just how far you can overclock your chip from stock. But, to give you an estimate as to how far your chip *may* overclock, I would need to know what stepping & date code is on your CPU. This information is found on the die itself, where it contacts the heatsink.
It's totally safe to change both the multiplier & FSB frequency. Both FSB freq. and multiplier determine the CPU's frequency (FSB * Multiplier = CPU Frequency).
Your CPU has a maximum frequency outside stock it will reach, and the point of overclocking is reaching this maximum frequency. Reaching it will be a matter of trial an error actually.
Like I said in the above post, Vcore voltage & core temperature primarily play into an overclock.
A good place for you to start is by downloading a benchmark utility like SiSoft Sandra from AOAFile.com.
With your system completely stock, run the CPU, Multimedia, & memory test. Take note of the results and of your CPU temperature (this can be found in the 'mainboard info' section).
Now start overclocking your system. Start out subtle first, nothing big. For instance lower your multiplier to say 10.5, and try a FSB of 166 MHz. This will yeild a CPU freq. of 1743- not much out of spec there for the 2200+. The only thing that will be really out of spec is the RAM if your running anything lower than PC2700 (providing your running a 1:1 ratio). So, to do a 166 MHz FSB, your RAM should be able to run that high (PC 2700 is rated for 166 MHz). If it can't, then your system will hang on the boot up. Nothing bad will happen. JUST BE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE THE JUMPER IS ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD TO RESET THE CMOS, so you'll be able to reboot your system back @ stock settings.
The higher you run your memory and FSB, the better your memory related benchmark scores will be. The higher you run your CPU, the higher CPU related benchmark scores will be.

I haven't even begun to scratch the surface, because that would fill pages- but for now get your feet wet through trial and error with these settings. Then you can move on to tweaking other settings like DRAM timings for instance.
If you have other specific questions don't hesitate to post them...we're all here to help.

-PC

altec said:
I am also already having some slight instability issues, and everything in my machine is still stock. i am running a Soyo Dragon KT400 Mobo, Athlon XP 2200, Radeon 9700 Pro, 80 GB WD800JB, and an Audigy2 Sound Card...are there any conflicts in this setup? i get frequent lockups when i do anything that requires a good ammount of graphics acceleration, and sometimes a random reboot. I need some help.:mad:
[/B]

Last edited:
OK so is it safer to start my overclocking enjoyment changing my FSB or the multiplier...and also how much will changing the FSB affect my video card, sound card, momory, etc...? When i unlock my chip, will it give me the opportunity to do all these things to my discresion? and is it safe to be turning up the voltage at all...or is that a major no-no without water cooling or something better than air cooled systems? Last but not least, what would be you all's best guess as to my instability issues? i cannot pinpoint the problem and i'm getting a little fed up with all the stupid lockups and such. i need a little guidence.

altec said:
OK so is it safer to start my overclocking enjoyment changing my FSB or the multiplier...and also how much will changing the FSB affect my video card, sound card, momory, etc...? When i unlock my chip, will it give me the opportunity to do all these things to my discresion? and is it safe to be turning up the voltage at all...or is that a major no-no without water cooling or something better than air cooled systems? Last but not least, what would be you all's best guess as to my instability issues? i cannot pinpoint the problem and i'm getting a little fed up with all the stupid lockups and such. i need a little guidence.

You will be adjusting both settings along with the voltage to reach your maximum overclocking potential in your system. The idea is to run the CPU and FSB at the hightest attainable frequency. Again, a lot of things play into reaching the max frequency.
Your other busses will be affected by increasing the FSB. PCI, AGP, & MEMORY are those busses since they run @ a divisor of the FSB. If you have PC2700 rated RAM try these starter settings:

CPU Mult. - 10.5
FSB - 166 MHz
CPU Vcore - 1.75v
DRAM Voltage - 2.8

Now, it should boot at those settings. If it hangs reset the CMOS, and try a little lower FSB.
Benchmark & note you CPU temps.
Now try setting your Multiplier to 11, & leave everything else the same. Your CPU will now try to run at 1826 MHz. If it boots, note temps then benchmark. If benchmarking proves stable, go back to the BIOS & keep increasing the FSB until you either max out your RAM or CPU. If it doesn't boot, reset CMOS & go back to a multiplier of 10.5 and increase the FSB from there.

-PC

Holy crap. This was like my second post...and I cannot believe what a n00b I was.

I needed my own guide! :p

I already got the question asnwered in February...I was just resurrecting my first post in the AMD CPU forum to see how much of a n00b I was. :p

Back