• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Dream Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJ Switch

Here is what I am looking for in a mobo as of right now, hopefully is it somewhere to be found:

Pentium 478 400/533mhz Support
4X RDram (PC800)
AGP 8X support (optional)
Built in SATA Taps
FSB Manipulator
VCore Manipulator
Memory Voltage Manipulator (optional)
AGP Voltage Manipulator (optional)
Granite Bay Chipset (optional)
3 Case Fan Headers
MBM readouts Support

Anyone seen a board with the required options anywhere? If so please let me know. Any comments and suggestions just reply.

i might be wrong on this, so dont quote me, but i think that the granite bay chip set only supports Dual DDR

a really good RDRAM board is the gigabyte GA-8HXP board
doesnt have all the features you might like, but it is rock stable. Just something you might want to consider.

raven

raven,
You are correct in that the Granite bay mobos will support only DDR and not Rambus. You don't have to run them in dual-ddr mode though. With a single stick of DDR, the granite bay mobos will run in single DDR mode like the 845 boards (but if you are going to do that, then why pay all the money for a granite bay board??) and with 2 or 4 (?) sticks or DDR memory, they will run in dual channel DDR mode.

To answer DJ's question, this board I'm putting a link to below comes with everything you listed (except one optional component) and more:

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/mb_spec.jsp?pPRODUCT_TYPE=MotherBoard&pMODEL_NAME=SI7

Pentium 478 400/533mhz Support *Yes*
4X RDram (PC800) *Yes* (Supports up to PC1200 RDRAM) :eek:
AGP 8X support *Yes* (altough a useless feature)
Built in SATA Taps *Yes* (Got 2 of them so you can do SATA raid)
FSB Manipulator *Yes* (by all means yes) :)
VCore Manipulator *Yes* (by all means yes) :)
Memory Voltage Manipulator *Yes* (by all means yes) :)
AGP Voltage Manipulator *No* (you said this was optional tough)
Granite Bay Chipset (you can't have GB chipset on a Rambus board) :cool:
3 Case Fan Headers *Yes*
MBM readouts Support *Yes*

Well BP, thanks very much for your help, that just earned you a star. I appreciate your computer market intelligence. Now i found my dream board! :eek: :clap:

Glad to make you happy DJ. :)

As BaldHeadedDork pointed out, you might not be able to find this board in the retail channel right now because it's new (hey anything that supports PC1200 has GOT to be new!) but it should become available very shortly.

I believe this is the only board on the market right now that supports PC1200. Of course you could get an older Rambus board and manage to overclock your memory to PC1200 levels if you are lucky but very few people have managed to do this, the reason being that the RDRAM clock generator chips on the older motherboars creating a bottleneck. For instance, if you remember, the TH7-II motherboard was a great overclocker but usually not that great for overclocking the memory because it had clock generator chips rated for only 400Mhz and therefore you were really lucky if you managed to overclock your memory high.

What some people did to remedy this situation was to actually replace the clock generator chips on the TH7-II's by ripping them out and soldering new ones on. :eek:

Well, now the SI-7 is out and since it supports PC1200 RDRAM, it's got the RDRAM clock generator chips to support it (rated for at least 600Mhz). Mind you, there still isn't PC1200 RDRAM on the market right now that you can buy but you will be able to get PC1066 RDRAM and easily overclock it to PC1200 speed on that board. As you know, there isn't a standard for DDR over PC2700 either but you can buy PC3500 RAM from manufacturers like Corsair.

Of course if you wanted to hold on a little bit, you could wait for official PC1200 RDRAM to come out so you can overclock even further but then this time, if the RDRAM clock generator chips on this board is rated for only 600mhz, then that will be a bottleneck again.

But hey, if you want further info on this board, there is big thread on it here:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126087

a chipset that runs a true 250 fsb (1000 quad pumped), supports pc 6000, (3000 from each rdram bank) scores 10,000 on sandra memory bench!!!!!!! then i woke up

Back