• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Way around windows xp login?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastametz

I was at the computer store the other day and saw one of the employees working on a windows xp computer. When he booted it up and came to the welcome screen, he typed some code on the keyboard which bypassed the passwords on the accounts. I inquired further about this and he told me the it was confidential information. Does anyone have any info?

har d har har har

no thats not what happened. He used a code and a window much like the login for 2k pro came up and he was able to login under the Admin name

admin is always available in pro(not home) but not seen he simply logged in as the admin.

AAAAAAAA

he typed in a code on the keyboard and the welcome screen disappeared and a normal login window appeared. He said it was part of the contract between that company and microsoft that he aquired that information. Quit telling me what it was I saw! I just want to know how he bypassed the dam passwords!!!!!!!!

there is no secret login, those computer store employees are dumbasses (well mostly).

Microsoft may have made the company some logins that only the company know.
That employee probably thinks he's 1337 for knowing such an ubber confidential code :rolleyes:

This is an article from http://www.briansbuzz.com/w/030213/
. Its sad if it works.
Windows XP, which has been marketed by Microsoft as "the most secure version ever," has been found to have a flaw so bone-headed that it renders passwords ineffective as a means of keeping people out of your PC.

Reader Tony DeMartino alerted me to the problem, which all administrators of Windows XP machines should immediately take to heart:
Anyone with a Windows 2000 CD can boot up a Windows XP box and start the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, a troubleshooting program.

Windows XP then allows the visitor to operate as Administrator without a password, even if the Administrator account has a strong password.

The visitor can also operate in any of the other user accounts that may be present on the XP machine, even if those accounts have passwords.

Unbelievably, the visitor can copy files from the hard disk to a floppy disk or other removable media - something even an Administrator is normally prevented from doing when using the Recovery Console.

Last edited:
Well to actually get the screen you are looking at, you press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice, and it will bring that login windows open for you.

He probabaly just hit CTL+ALT+DEL twice and logged in as local admin. In this case it is much more likely to be something like that and doubt what you think you saw. You only saw what he told you to see.

Big Nuttz said:
This is an article from http://www.briansbuzz.com/w/030213/
. Its sad if it works.

Windows XP, which has been marketed by Microsoft as "the most secure version ever," has been found to have a flaw so bone-headed that it renders passwords ineffective as a means of keeping people out of your PC.
Reader Tony DeMartino alerted me to the problem, which all administrators of Windows XP machines should immediately take to heart:
Anyone with a Windows 2000 CD can boot up a Windows XP box and start the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, a troubleshooting program.
Windows XP then allows the visitor to operate as Administrator without a password, even if the Administrator account has a strong password.
The visitor can also operate in any of the other user accounts that may be present on the XP machine, even if those accounts have passwords.
Unbelievably, the visitor can copy files from the hard disk to a floppy disk or other removable media - something even an Administrator is normally prevented from doing when using the Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console is text-only. It looks like DOS, basically. It also requires you to log in as Admin, with a password.

The guy you saw pro'lly just logged in as Admin. Nothing special about that.

We're not calling you a liar, it's just pro'lly what happened.

Back