• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asynch works only in one direction?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

In my pursuit of leaving behind the 200MHz threshold that am stuck at I tried to clock the memory asynchronously. Interstingly enough I can run processor at say 166 and memory at 208 - however the benchmark indicate that the processor speed really determines the ram throughput (e.g. at 166MHz it's about 2700 GB/s). So nothings gained in that scenario.

Well - then I am thinking ok - I should be able to run the processor at say 225x8 (well below it's capabilities of about 2.4GHz) and the ram at say 180 (again well below it's capabilities of 200)using the 80% setting(Ideally I would aim at 250/200+ but I just tried to be conservative testing it). Wouldn't ya know - the system locked up big time - could not override it had to clear the cmos.

What's going on? Is it really possible to clock memory and processor asynchronously or is that just a marketing trick?

Yo

Don't use 80% or 83% with 8RDA+, it's damn unstable.
75% works fine. I'm running 233 FSB with memory at 175.. rock stable!

Thanks for that hint. I tried it, and 150/200 works but 180/240 is no go and woould be slower than 200/200. Oh well gotta do the vdd mod soon :)

EluSiOn said:
i am just wondering... if your mosfet and sb gets hot when you run 200mhz fsb sync

Ambient is about 16C (cold basement). SB has heatsink from another mobo as2ed on. Does not seem warm at all. Not sure about the mosfets, but I got some old RAM heatsinks and some AS2 epoxy for another day...

i am not suggesting that to cool those... coz.. if they are not hot.. why cool them.... I am just wondering... becoz some ppl's sb is not hot (like me) and some's mosfet is not hot (but mine is extremely hot)

Back