• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX & heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twinkle

If Nvidia is having shuch trouble, or hell any one, tha makes cars, and have heat problems, why dotn they get smart, and put the gpu ON TOP of the card...

well, thats about it...jsut something stupid i though of but if anyone who works for someone that makes videocards, I will sue you or something if you steal my idea...so please don't, just send me a check, commission or something.

umm.... what exactly do you mean by "put the gpu on top of the card" I don't understand what you mean by top of the card. Please elaborate.

-DragonSlayer

ok, they have been putting ram on both sides of the card for a while now, what i mean by on to is, when in a tower case, an agp card usually has the gpu on the underside, I think they should put it on the other side

I don't think your the first person to think of that. I thought about that years ago....when the first AGP cards were coming out! I think there is some technical reason why they put the GPU on the bottom...

Theres no technical reason. Its just a standard that was developed back before there were tower cases, and just desktop cases. Back then, it didnt really matter which way u had it, going to the left or to the right, and the industry decided to have them facing the left. When tower cases came to the scene, they just happened to be pointing down instead of up

well if you look at the different types of cards when they are mounted in a tower, the ISA card were facing up, PCI and AGP face down... it's just been that way... one reason that i can see for them starting to have the PCI and AGP slots upside down is for the slots that can either be PCI or ISA... and they just figured that the AGP slot should be like the PCI cards... really, if you have good airflow through your case without heat pockets, you should be fine... under the agp card is where there is commonly a heat pocket... a slot fan and the fans in the sides of cases have helped get rid of that pocket of hot air... i know that a lot of people can get higher o/c's with a side fan... (me being one of them) it's not much, but it will take it :)

i think its because of issues with various motherboards, the videocard would interfere with some components like the northbridge or stuff. theres numerous small ones but it would be really easy to start doing that, i wish they would =/

The processor already creates enough heat. Why don't we put the fan on top so that all the hot air off the videocard will blow onto the processor? Another would be the eletromagnetic noise from the videocard to the processor. Heck, fan headers make enough noise for the system to be unstable.

OEM's would hate that. As if their systems weren't unstable enough=)

dstorrow said:
What's with you guys and putting pictures of beautiful women in your avitars??

Just Wondering
DragonSlayer

it's just nice to see some pretty faces around here :) mine is of my girl, so i get to see her quite a bit since i am always browsing the forums :)

i suppose it could just be unexplainable... just like the shirt ninja clan :)

Yup yup...i had my fiance in my avatar till last night (i was drunk and for the oddest reason i put up a pic a friend took last night of me drinking, lol)

Evnas said:
Yup yup...i had my fiance in my avatar till last night (i was drunk and for the oddest reason i put up a pic a friend took last night of me drinking, lol)

evnas looks like my english ta in that pic :) haha the beer and all!

Back