• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Radeon Modification Poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

have you successfully converted a Radeon 9500 non-pro card into a Radeon 9700

• The mod was successful and ran *at least* 3 OpenGL applications and also *at least* 3 DirectX applic

Votes: 73 55.3%
  • The mod was successful and ran *at least* 3 OpenGL applications and also *at least* 3 DirectX applic

Votes: 45 34.1%
  • The mod was NOT successful. I could not convert my Radeon 9500 into a 9700 (as in my fill rates didn

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Requested by Black_Paladin

This is a poll to figure out:

1- How many people in this forum were able to successfully convert their Radeon 9500 non-pro cards into Radeon 9700 cards by either using the soldering method (hard-mod), or the driver patching method (soft-mod). On the soft-mod side, there are 2 methods. One is using W1zzard's patched drivers and the other is using the RivaTuner script made my Unwinder. All of these methods count for the purposes of this poll. Keep in mind that using the W1zzard's patched drivers don't always make your card show up as a Radeon 9700 under display properties. If you are using W1zzard's patched drivers for the mod, check the fill rate tests in 3dmark2001 to find out if the mod was successful or not. If your fill rates about doubled, then the mod was successfull. If not, then the mod was not successfull.

2- How many people who have successfully converted their Radeon 9500 non-pro cards into Radeon 9700 cards got no artifacts whatsoever after the mod.

To figure this out, I will list the choices you can pick below. BEFORE CHOOSING AN OPTION PLEASE AND *PLEASE* READ THE FOLLOWING FIRST:

This post is meant to give us as reliable results as possible. Considering the fact that we are not conducting this survey in a lab environment, try to be as honest and detailed as possible. If you were having problems with your computer before trying out this mod and did not succeed with the mod, if at all possible, try to make a fresh install of your operating system and then try again. We would like to eliminate all outside factors that could figure into the results. Such factors include but are not limited to: Corrupted registry settings and operating system files on your computer, CPU overclocking causing instability making it look like the problem is with the "9500 to 9700 mod" whereas it's actually not, etc... You get the idea. IDEALLY, we would like you to format your primary partition where your OS resides (normally the C: drive) and reinstall your OS before trying out the mod and posting your results.

2- OVERCLOCKING DOES *NOT* FIGURE INTO THIS POLL. If you have overclocked your card after the mod and got artifacts, take your card back to STOCK speed and then test again. Ony then, depending on your results, choose the appropiate option. Overclocking can skew the results *severely* here because especially by overclocking the memory, at some point, if you push the card too much, you WILL get artifacts.

3- If you are unsure of which option to pick, just make a post stating what you are unsure about and Black_Paladin who requested this poll, will help figure it out with you which one will be the best possible option to pick depending on your situation.

first one with choice 1 ;)

BlackPaladin: good text.. and relatively short too ;)

The card.. not running it at the moment because the cooling is messed up bad.
(Fixxed cooling with a crystal orb.. good for 350+mhz)

Clean install to get it working.
Ati demos, 3dm2k1, 2k3, Q3, Q2, SoF2, C&C: RA2, NFS3, NFS6.
Get grey dots in 3dm2k1 Nature and ati cardemo when the core gets to high/hot.

Connect 3D, rev3 (i think)
gpu info: r300, 215r8abga13f, g28252.1, 0243aa, taiwan

Last edited:
How important is it to keep the memory cool on these cards? I have a water-cooled system and would be replacing the stock stuff with the dd waterblock..assuming it fits..(geforce 2/3 model)

mine is running fine i upgraded the drivers to the newer one b4 it use to show as a 9700 but the newer ones will show it as a 9500 since im using wizards soft mod with riva tuner plus i also used the script provided in the rivatuner site have no issues card works great b4 i couldnt push 12k now im at almost 16k with the old 3d mark well my scores are at the bottom of my sig

I'm glad that some people are finally posting and voting here. :) There have only been 5 votes so far thought and one of them is my vote, LOL. Come on people, vote!! I KNOW that there are more than 5 people here in this forum that tried the mod on their Radeon 9500's.

BlackPaladin: good text.. and relatively short too

Touche... :eek: I know that I'm not very good at being brief but I try to be detailed not to cause misunderstandings. :)

Mod technically worked, i got the performance of a 9700. but i've got checkerboards EVERYWHERE. even in windows. Nothing I've tried has helped (formatting, disabling hyperz, heirchicalz, zmask, zbuffer, antialiasing, overclocking, fast writes).

Thanks BP and UM! The idea for this poll came from a discussion BP and I were having about the fact the success rate for the mod still seemed to be a bit of a mystery. My card has been absolutley artifact free and I'm quite pleased this bit of luck came into my otherwise drab existence:p

Tell everybody at other boards about this poll! We must have the data! We MUST HAVE IT!

500 MHz core

$163 Sapphire 128mb 9500np modded to 9700, 1-2 conductive silver connected, volt-modded + watercooling + peltier + cold water, no phase cooling.

TBred @ 2058, mobo, 512mb RAM, 2 hard drives, card & the peltier (the peltier is 226watts @ 16.x volts, running @ 12.x volts), all running on an enermax model 651 PSU, 12/5 volt rails modded.

With a bit more of finesse tweaking, i got 500 stable. My goal was to reach 500 but never thought i would. There are a few things i can do to take it to 500+ but i don't want to destroy the card. Well, i can't wait to get my hands on the R350 core.

3dmark2001se @ 500/594, http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5984955

3dmark03 @ 500/594, 5542 marks, TBred @ 2058 MHz

If anybody wonders about artifacts @ 500, no graphical errors.

Highest 3dmark2001se fillrate test @ 580.5/620.5,

2035.6 single/ 4140.2 multi

I can actually run windows/2D @ 600.75/620.5, Radeonator2.0 is limiting further oc, LOL!

This core is nuts.

Well I got this Connect3D card with 3.6 mem just software mod. Everything is working like a charm... Only thing is that I can't o/c my mem higher than 303 :( Core is going up to 371 perhaps even higher but I won't try it without watercooling...
My components get extremly hot :(

Your mem OC is pretty good for a 9700 - the 9700 pros have better RAM. I only get 294 stable in 3d on my Sapphire mod with the 3.3 Infinion chips.

common more people fneed to vote!!, btw i just go my highest 3dmark last night, 14597 @ 357core(im have problem with cooling, i could get to 371 before) and 303mem, ive got my ramsinks on but no volt mod for the mem yet,
ow yah, i tried the hard mod 3 times but no success but the riva softmod works great, and i have infineon ram

OK, I posted at www.sysopt.com, [H]Forum, and at www.rage3d.com. I explained our quest and linked to the poll. Now the rest of you guys get out there and beat the bushes! We MUST have the data!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much for doing this, Alex!! This is really a nice service to this poll. I'm grateful. :clap:
And yes, we MUST have the data, NO MATTER THE COST!!! :bang head

My conversion worked great.

Newegg Sapphire nonpro 128mb 9500 OEM. Was $158.

351core/300 memory using soft9700 scripts from RivaTuner.

No artifacts whatsoever.

Johnny Mo

Bought a Sapphire 9500 np from Bananapc.com, its the version with infineon 3.3ns memory. Memory overclocks terribly (that is until a way to volt mod the infineon is put into use) core reaches at least 360 if not more. The software 9700 conversion was successful.

Bought a Sapphire 9500 np from Bananapc.com, its the version with infineon 3.3ns memory. Memory overclocks terribly (that is until a way to volt mod the infineon is put into use) core reaches at least 360 if not more. The software 9700 conversion was successful.

It is very nice to hear that your card overclocks well EG|Fox as 360 mhz is a pretty decent overclock. For the purposes of voting for this poll however, we don't figure overclocking into the equation. Please let us know if you have run at least 3 OpenGl and DirectX applications to test the card for artifacts while it is not overclocked and then please vote. :) Your vote will be appreciated. Have fun.

Note: I know that 3.3ns Infineon memory does not overclock very well above 300mhz. :(

Back