• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 43C ok for WW and a 1600+ at 2.00v?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Just wondering, since I see most people with temps in the 30Cs with their watercooling. I'm using a heatercore from dtek customs with two 120mm 86cfm fans with shrouds, Eheim 1250, z-chipset, and cathar's white water block. Prime95 takes the chip up to 47C. Don't think that temp is dangerous but it seems kind of high to me with what I'm using, but what do you think?

Is it the "My PC" in your sig? It takes 2 volts to run a 1600 @144x12.5?

I'd say its that voltage that is making it run so hot. Is the memory not fast enough to go the other way, and raise the FSB instead of the multiplier?

I dont use the same block you do, so i don't know where it runs at, at stock voltage/speeds. So i can't say. But 2 volts to the cpu would heat it up pretty good i'd say.

I've ran air cooled in the mid 50's, and it didn't seem to hurt anything. So i'd say it aint "dangerous".... Then again, what do i know

Those temps seem too high for Cathar's block. Are you using anything else besides distilled water such as anti-freeze that will sometimes take temps up. Also did you fully bleed your system of bubbles? My only other guess would be you don't have the block tightened down enough.

toxik co2 said:
Those temps seem too high for Cathar's block. Are you using anything else besides distilled water such as anti-freeze that will sometimes take temps up. Also did you fully bleed your system of bubbles? My only other guess would be you don't have the block tightened down enough.

I have bled my system for a week, and I do have some Water Wetter in there. I'm not sure how tight the block is though, and that's the only thing I'm not sure about. I tightened the wing nuts 6 times fully (12 if you're counting half way turns).

And this is on My PC. I don't need to run it 2v, but was testing the cooling out (when I tested the heatsink at 2v it was at 54C, so water helped by 11C :))

I think you are fine, if cpu is running stable thats the best evidence. I would trust that over the temps your m/b is reporting. I've noticed some people remarking that they "have to adjust MMB readings -15C to get temps right"!! With reported temps being able to be adjusted to what the user wants to see, I wouldn't put any weight in comparing temps to what others are saying. If you want to get some numbers that have a bit of meaning for you, do some before/after comparisons like you've done with air/water. Maybe try one of your fans at a time see if the push or pull does better, how do they compare to both. I just got a 2C improvement by cleaning my filter this morning.

peace.
unloaded

Well, I'm not changing what the board is reporting, otherwise I wouldn't even ask the question if my temps are ok ;) I'm not saying the board is 100% correct though (I've head that the 8RDAs can be way off with temperature monitoring). I'll try moving the fans around tomorrow and see if one does better than the other.

Thanks for the help
Tipycol

The Epox 8RDA has a notoriously unreliable thermal sensor. It also doesn't even read the on-die temperature, and just takes the temperature from the in-socket diode. The mosfets and voltage-regulators which sit nearby get extremely hot and will directly affect the temperature reading of the in-socket thermal diode.

No, I don't know why Epox chose to NOT report the on-die diode temperature, especially as the ability to do this has been around for about 18 months now.

There have been reports of people flashing the Epox 8RDA bios and seeing temps drop by 10C or so, because some bioses stick in a fudge factor to adjust the thermal diode reading.

In short, with something that inaccurate, who knows what the CPU's real temperature is?

BTW - I own an Epox 8RDA+.

I believe it's 17C, though I'm not sure how accurate that is either. There's also another sensor that always reports 10C, but I'm sure my room is not 10C.

Forgot, that's for both case and ambient since the mobo is not in a case right now (not totally sure I want to put it in a case yet). Course, the fact that I need a bigger case for it all is also another reason :)

Setting for MBM5 for 8rda

Winbond 1: always report 14c~17c <--- mess up sensor

Winbond 2: CPU in socket temp sensor

Winbond 3: Case (Powersupply) Temp sesnor

How many degree C different between ambient temp and also CPU temp?

I have my cpu temp and ambient temp difference up to 14c full load but the vcore was 2.15v ... most of the time the temp difference is with in 10c (vcore 1.95v 24/7 setting)

I have a 2100 at 1.9v and 14x169, WW, BIX, 80cfm 120mm pulling. 8RDA+.

Ambient/case 26C and CPU at load is 37C or a delta of 11C.

You're cooling the chipset too so there could easily be some additional heat but your delta if the ambient is 17C is 30C which seems really high.

BTW, Cathar, apparently Epox didn't use the on-die sensor because the last motherboard that did use the on-die got lots of complaints about how high the cpu temperatures were compared to other motherboards. Essentially, they decided not to inform their customers about the real temperatures because the customers wouldn't understand why it was so high :rolleyes: (Block#95 love it to bits)

MikeTimbers said:
I have a 2100 at 1.9v and 14x169, WW, BIX, 80cfm 120mm pulling. 8RDA+.

Ambient/case 26C and CPU at load is 37C or a delta of 11C.

You're cooling the chipset too so there could easily be some additional heat but your delta if the ambient is 17C is 30C which seems really high.

BTW, Cathar, apparently Epox didn't use the on-die sensor because the last motherboard that did use the on-die got lots of complaints about how high the cpu temperatures were compared to other motherboards. Essentially, they decided not to inform their customers about the real temperatures because the customers wouldn't understand why it was so high :rolleyes: (Block#95 love it to bits)

Well, if you're proc is a Tbred, maybe that would make up for the differece. I just think the sensor is off and since the comp is stable and I don't have any problems, it's all right at 47C at full load (though when prime95's not running it never goes above 43C). I really wish Epox had just explained to their customers why their temps were so high, and keep the on-die sensor.

I have the same rad, and chip with an 8k5a2+ running at 1.98V. Prime95 gets me up to 44-45C. So I would say you're not far off. Idle temps are about 37C with case temps at 28C. This is with the exhaust from the rad blowing right into the case. Room temp is probably 60F.

Back