• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any card that can stand the abuse of pci speed of 40 and above?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC Noob said:
Does it have to be "pretty" or a particular color?

;)

Ouch..that hurts:D anyway, i don't really care at this point..i just need a card that can work fine without swapping my current mobo.

get an agp card and your pci speed wont touch it, just the hdd. I hear IBM hdds are famous for high pci speeds and geforce2mx's tolerate high agp speeds. The newer geforces for some reason dont like above 83MHz agp. my mx can take about 103MHz agp, never really tried above 2/3 of 150 since it wasnt very stable above 150 fsb. could be anything. I also hear setting the agp to 1x might help but itll also slow the transfer, so dont do that unless u got tons of video memory

Overclocker550 said:
then pci speeds are not an issue for his card :rolleyes:

Before anybody see this let me point this out, I may not be entirely correct but On ll boards, with teh exception of the nforce2, when you up the FSB, the PCI,AGP,IDE (and a few others)...speeds go up...

The general rule is:
PCI=33mhz
AGP 1x=33mhz
AGP 2x=66mhz
AGP 4x=132mhz ( i think Not sure)

If you overclock the pic to say 40mhz then:
PCI=40mhz
AGP 1x=40mhz
AGP 2x=80mhz
AGP 4x=160mhz

Soo...I have a suggestion..after typeing all that out...Will your board let you set AGP to 2x? It should take some stress off teh card and make it stable...Yeah I know its meant for 8x but some 9xxx's have had trouble in the past running at that....

my cpu(s) are actually faster than you but I arent flaming you for the old cpu you got. is the ide port related to pci? like at 41MHz pci, the ide controller also runs at whatever pci speed? Looks like I might have a problem if the asus a7v 266e lacks a 1/5 divisor

yes they are all related, even on the nforce board, but the nforce doesnt use dividers, it has locks. and the pci is 33 and the agp is 66 always for agp1x-8x. and oc550, he didnt flame you. i think you took it the wrong way. he simply pointed out that you are posting wrong info.... again.

so on nforce boards you can set the fsb to anything and the pci and agp remain constant, no fiddling with dividers? neat! Too bad I didnt get one of those pricy Nforce boards, well I hope the asus a7v266e has a 1/5 or the cpu is not locked

thats the point i was trying to make to you oc550 when you said your setup will eat mine for dinner, i will most likely be able to get a far better overclock than you will. and with a lot less hassel.

your mobo has the 1/5th divisor? Can I flash my bios or trick it into getting a 1/5th? if not how high a fsb should I dare try? I was thinking 166fsb which is still decent

Angry said:

Before anybody see this let me point this out, I may not be entirely correct but On ll boards, with teh exception of the nforce2, when you up the FSB, the PCI,AGP,IDE (and a few others)...speeds go up...

The general rule is:
PCI=33mhz
AGP 1x=33mhz
AGP 2x=66mhz
AGP 4x=132mhz ( i think Not sure)

If you overclock the pic to say 40mhz then:
PCI=40mhz
AGP 1x=40mhz
AGP 2x=80mhz
AGP 4x=160mhz

Soo...I have a suggestion..after typeing all that out...Will your board let you set AGP to 2x? It should take some stress off teh card and make it stable...Yeah I know its meant for 8x but some 9xxx's have had trouble in the past running at that....

@ agp 2x, 9500pro won't even boot, g3 apg tearing. guess nforce2 is my only solution then...damn i hate it:bang head

oc 550 you can overclock as high as your components will allow you while remaining stable, some people get more some people get less. 166 sounds good not to high, not to low.

is it true data loss can result if the fsb is too high? I have heard stories of HDDs getting corrupted at 83fsb back in the pentium2 and celeron 300a days. I was thinking the worse is itll not boot or lock up but not erase your data? I could set it to PIO1 mode but will that eat up performance?

tainice said:

@ agp 2x, 9500pro won't even boot, g3 apg tearing. guess nforce2 is my only solution then...damn i hate it:bang head

Yeh, go nForce 2. You do realize that there's a KT333 bug when working with high FSBs right? You might get artifacts etc because of the KT333 chipset.

Replacing mobos are a real hassle but I think you'll find the Epox 8RDA+ worth it.

No you can't get the 1/5 divider out of the A7V266 regardless of what you do unless you buy a new motherboard because the chipset limits it to a 1/4 divider. The Abit KR7A for instance has dividers on its clock generator up to 1/7 (I think) but the chipset only allows 1/4.

Yes if you are using dividers while overclocking there's a possibility of corruption. Of course your HDD is not always the cause of this and sometimes you need to up the voltage on memory.

PIO mode is not an option unless you really enjoy waiting 15mins for it to boot into windows and load.

too bad the Nforce2 mobo costs $150, for $55 I think I can live with 150-166fsb instead of 200-233fsb possible on the Nforce. I just hope the cpu isnt locked and ill get like 80% of the performance. besides no ram could run much faster than 166 unless cas3

Back