• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to quiet the Eheim 1250?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

It just seems too loud sometimes, and it's not even in a case yet. I don't want to get a slower pump after spending the money on this one. So, is there a few ways to get the pump quieter and vibrate less or is it like the tornado, noise for performance?

Mine is almost totally silent. Just put some foam or shock absorbing pads under it and you'll be set.

I also have one, and can't even hear that it is on unless I put an ear up to it. I used some plastic foam (like the kind a motherboard is bagged in sometimes) crushed between the case and the pump. It doesn't cause any vibration noise. The only times I can distinctly hear it is when it is pumping some bubbles after a refill.

-ben

I have had 3 1250's and relative to the 1048 or a maxijet or a via auqua 1300 they all vibrated a lot and were much noisier.
Maybe my sample is not representative but if it is then you will need to compromise on sound/vibration. Foam is good, suspention is better.
Maybe I'm more sensitive to noise or maybe I've just gotten bad 1250s, but if someone tells me they have a 1250 and it is almost silent I will need to hear that unit to be convinced.
wj

I too have owned a 1250 and a 1048 and both were dead silent... The trick if it is noisy or vibrates is to cut an old mousepad and glue it to the side of the pump that will be resting in the computer. My pump was tied down tight to the side of the case with zip ties and velcro. Try to secure the pump so it is not 'free' moving inside the case.

wymjym said:
was your 1048 just the same (sound & vibration) as the 1250?
wj
Pretty much. I really could not hear either one, even when it was just the pump running. I had to touch it to make sure it was on!

then my sample of:
3-1250's
4-1048's
1-1046

is faulty.

I do test with NO extra noise to add to the ambient (noise, even turn off the lights that are humming) but even so, the 1250s visibly shake whereas I cannot see the movement in the 1046/8. Sound....I foot away I cannot hear the 1046, the 1048 there is a very, very slight hum and then the 1250s sound like they are PUMPS.
Either the eheims vary a lot in their sound/vibrations or each of our perceptions are quite different.
wj

Below is how I have mounted every pump I have ever used, the 1048, the 1250 and this beast of an Iwaki MD-15R. If you look closely, you will see mouse pad material between the pump and the case and the pump and the rad. This pump is MUCH more stout than the Eheims and is still BARELY noticable. Now, if i just set this pump on the bottom of the case with nothing holding it down, then it would vibrate like mad. So would the 1250 for that matter. The key is to secure the pump to the case, be it the side or the bottom very tightly with some sort of foam beneath it.

inside.jpg

If yours are quiet, then they are quiet.
My 1250s would vibrate anything they were attached to. I'm certain that if I had left any of the 1250s in one of my cases (and it was isolated and secured) it would have shaken the rivets loose in very short order. As I'm sure you know, you are not removing the vibration but rather spreading it out a bit and also -hopefully- getting a little self cancelling at work.
If you would hold them (when pumping) your wrists would start to tingle then go numb. My easiest solution (after spending many days) was to go to remote system
wj

wymjym said:
If yours are quiet, then they are quiet.
My 1250s would vibrate anything they were attached to. I'm certain that if I had left any of the 1250s in one of my cases (and it was isolated and secured) it would have shaken the rivets loose in very short order. As I'm sure you know, you are not removing the vibration but rather spreading it out a bit and also -hopefully- getting a little self cancelling at work.
If you would hold them (when pumping) your wrists would start to tingle then go numb. My easiest solution (after spending many days) was to go to remote system
wj

Do you mean you put your WC gear in an external container?

Re: ...

Literatii said:

Do you mean you put your WC gear in an external container?

Yes that's right! I had/have a bucket remote system but I also have a commercial one.
The guy I buy the peltier controllers from is handling them.

They are quiet!

wj

Back