• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Geforce 256

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

yeah uh, im at a friend's for a sleepover and he showed me a unused geforce 256 which he was willing to sell to me for 5 bucks. currently i have a tnt2 32mb, which i believe is slower then the geforce. am i correct? if i am, what are the specs on it? i searched all over the internet but the card is too old to have anything on it.

that card is pretty good, better than a gf2mx. You can play anything based on Q3/UT engines with it and a good CPU. Its nice for a secondary computer. Hech it can even play max payne descently. But make sure its the DDR one... and some overclocking would be sweet. $5 is heck of a deal

Don't bother with the specs! For $5 I would ALWAYS get it, the TNT2 is a 128bit GPU where the GeForce256 is a 256bit GPU. So even with SDRAM it'll make a real difference compared to your TNT2...

youd be insane not to get it for $5. I consider the mx better, its not much faster but OCs better, makes less heat, uses less power and is more stable. my geforce classic causes games to lock up, even underclocked but never any problems with other geforce cards

could it be? the first piece of useful info from overclocker! Congrats! apart from the insult, id have to agree, but i mean come on, 5 bucks is a great deal. hell id even buy an ati card for 5 bucks! :D;)

actually the geforce I bought on ebay had a broken fan and the screen had streaky gray lines also the gamma was a little dim. That was in both 2d and 3d, but I paid like $10 or 15 for it when they were like $60 new. also had a geforce2mx

this sounds great. except im going to build a new comp in like a few weeks so im basically paying 5 bucks for a few weeks worth of increased performance. oh well, another part to add ot my junk collection!

hell im still running a ge-force 256 DDR. the card rocks. I find it faster then the gf2mx line. it overclocks well and is a good preformer in any game i want to play. hell im playing simcity 4 on it. quake3 runs like a dream as does UT. im kepping mine till i get something new down the road.

what the heck? i just put it in and in my display settings it says its a geforce2 gts!!!! how do i find out if i have ddr or not? is there a program that will tell me all the specs of my card?

oh man!!!! i just opened up powerstrip and it says i have ddr memory!!!!! oh man i think i just scored the deal of the century! my friend is kicking himself right now hahhahahahaha

lol sounds like u did get the best deal shame on your friend does he know alot about computers sounds like he dont even selling a geforce 256 for $5 is mad let alone a geforce 2

one problem - you cant rely on powerstrip to tell you. it reports 99% of cards as having ddr weather they actually do or not.
can you tell us what is written on the ram chips?

james.miller said:
one problem - you cant rely on powerstrip to tell you. it reports 99% of cards as having ddr weather they actually do or not.
can you tell us what is written on the ram chips?

indeed it is true....try Sandra and 3dmark and if they all say GTS then you scored, 5$ i mean **** peopel are still paying like 60$ for it on ebay lol

Back