• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 100x faster then 2.5ghz P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daegon

While the processor's design is still under wraps, the companies say Cell's capabilities will allow it to deliver one trillion calculations per second (teraflop) or more of floating-point calculations. It will have the ability to do north of 1 trillion mathematical calculations per second, roughly 100 times more than a single Pentium 4 chip running at 2.5GHz.

from ZDNet |UK| PS3 chip nears completion

interesting... looks kinda like super-HT. is this where CPUs are heading?

when molecular transistor technology is utilized high end procs will reach this high, but any chip companies will have a hard time selling a 1/2 teraflop chip

why would you design something like that and put it in a PS3? Unless its sole use was graphical crunching in which even the Ti4600 did 1.23Trillion...but I aint had time to read the article yet so sorry if it states its not graphical only or something :)

The Geforce3 at its initial release was capable of 76 Gflops as I recall theoretical. While the PS3's FP capability is very impressive keep in mind it's nowhere near a fully blown general-purpose logic processor. It's there to perform a certain set of routine FP operations, so it's not really comparable to a general-purpose MPU like the P4 is. The GeforceFX is capable of something like 260 GFlops or something like that.

im still on a 286. i overclocked it to 20mhz! now if i could only catch up to my t-86 calculator. lol

yeah.. but as far as i can tell, the ps3 isn't going to be just a gaming platform.. it'll utilize other stuffs in the house and make itself a beacon for user interaction... plus it'll surf the web.

While the processor's design is still under wraps, the companies say Cell's capabilities will allow it to deliver one trillion calculations per second (teraflop) or more of floating-point calculations. It will have the ability to do north of 1 trillion mathematical calculations per second, roughly 100 times more than a single Pentium 4 chip running at 2.5GHz.

They only finished the details on paper only, lets see it actually PERFORM after production and fine tunning is done.

This is all basic 'marketing' BS, I still remember ATI, Nvidia, Intel, AMD and even Cyrix saying how fast their stuffs will beat the crap out of the competition all by the marketing department, and after its done, the specs are nowhere near to what the marketing dept said.

Furthermore, creating an operating system and set of applications that can take advantage of the Cell's multiprocessing and peer-to-peer computing capabilities will be the key to determining if Cell will be successful, he said.

Putting software and stuffs, I wonder what type of SOD the PS3 will have, Microsoft has its Blue Screen of death and the XBOX got Green....maybe pink for PS3?

Damm console makers, stick to games only, stop making it more complicated and stop trying to make your own computers and calling it a console. :mad:

Yeah, can probably subtract two floating point numbers 100x in a clock cycle and do a vector dot product once every 10 clock cycles.

Oh hang on, no, they've got a shovel and dug up the transputer concept, parallelism, multiple processing units on a chip, so the chip will be out in 2004, and it will be 2010 before they've got the programming THEORY right for it.

Back