• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a nice quiet fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

hey, I've already got my sis, and I'm going through trying to find out where I can cut my noise down, so I'm trying to find a new quiet fan for my water cooling

this is my current one...

http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/19/154.htm?92

and I was either gunna do a 7 volt mod to it, or just get a new one, just wondering if you guys know of any that are quieter, or if the 7 volt mod would hinder performance THAT much

I think with any fan your going to have to do a volt mod to get it to quiet down.....the best iv'e been able to do is a set of two 120mm fans both with rheostats on them. With that setup I can dial down the noise with the rheos and sleep at night then during lan parties and when the heat goes up I can always crank up the rheos and let the fans go at full speed.

For good High CMF low noise 120mm fans check out both the Sunnon and Panaflo models that are out on the market...you can find them at lots of places...
A good example...

Panaflo
Model FBA-12G12H. 120mm x 38mm. 12v. 5.52 watt, 2500 RPM, 103 CFM, 41.5dbA

41.5db is kind of annoying loud when it's quiet at night....but throw a rheostat on there and you can slow the fan down to a tolarable volume and be just fine temps wise.

Look around...I'm sure you can find some online... PM me if you can't...I'll send you a link to where to find the fans...and how to add a rheostat.

i 7volted my papst fan and my temps only went up around 2*C but i can tell a huge difference in the noise level, its much better now

ZoopaMan- The Panaflo L1A does less cfm for the same noise rating as the fan he's currently using. You are correct in saying Panaflo's are very quiet, the fan he is using is the only one I could find at that dba rating that pushes more cfm.

One thing to think about too is that 25mm thick fans do not push as much air at the same speed as 38mm thick fans... The dtek fan you referenced I'm sure is NOT 30dBa, no way. The panaflo L1A is a 38mm thick fan and pushes 69CFM at 30dba. 30dBa is very quiet and barely noticable.

hmmm, so if I 7 volt mod this, it's safe to assume that it'd fall to 15-20 dcb's, right? and I wanna try 'n get the ENTIRE comp under 30, any idea how much hd's make, 'n where I can buy quieter once, also what to do about the psu...

I have no idea about how much noise hd's make but I do know that the lower the rpms the quieter and the lower the number of platters the quieter. I have a maxtor 20 gig and I can't even hear it.

Back