• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maxi-jet gettin pretty warm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coog

Registered
Just picked up a maxi-jet 1200 and last night I was using it to leak test my HC. After about 20 minutes that sucker was pretty hot, just about to the point of stinging fingers. Are you guys running into this too??

Also I'm thinking of plumbing the case in 1/2 copper pipe with short cuts of vinyl to hook it all together, that 1/2 id is too weak in the bends and with copper I can make a flow friendly bend :cool:

Any thoughts??

I don't have a maxi-jet, but when I leak tested my system(with no fan on rad) it got pretty warm too. I think once you get the loop going with fan it'll be ok.

peace.
unloaded

yeah, as you leak test the water temp also goes up, that lets the pump temp go up also. when the water is being cooled the pump wont get as hot, plus if you have airflow the temp will go down even more.

Jon

The watertemp actually went down quite a bit.. I started with warm water to get the tubing a little more flexable. the water temp went to ambient pretty quick even without a fan on the core but the room was cold.. frigid temps in colorado right now.. but the 1200 got really hot. I'm running a danner 250 in my rig right now and that thing barely get's warm but I suppose this maxijet is pushing more GPH at half the size..

I am also testing my pump and it is fairly warm,not hot, and the water is getting slightly warm. The fan is not on for the H/C and the pump is sitting on the floor with no air flow like it would in the case. Oh well we shall see soon I have to leak test first then install I can't afford to kill a fairly new system due to impatients.

my pump heats up alot in the first 10 min , but i think that a small amount of the heat is transfered into the water which is why its a good idea to put your pump before your rad, and then also, my pump cools down alot after it gets going, momentum maybe? Less friction maybe? i dunno but it goes down alot cooler after like 20 min or so.

my pump cools down alot after it gets going, momentum maybe? Less friction maybe? i dunno but it goes down alot cooler after like 20 min or so.

Now that's weird.. I only let mine go for a bout 20 minutes for the leak test, my power supply just came in and I'm almost done with my bay-res so I'm tearing it all down and rebuilding with copper pipe and the HC. I'll check for this then..

I wonder if additives add to the friction in the pump, I'm running an 80/20 mix of distilled h2o and water wetter...

WW(watter wetter) should reduce the friciton in the pump, because of the lowered waters surface tension

Back