• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let's see that farm!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnerma

Hello team, I don't know the last time this was done but I have not seen a thread like this since I've been at OC.

Post some pics of your farm!
  • Ghetto rigs running with no cases or dignity get you extra points :)
  • If you only have one rig don't be shy, let's see it. If it's just a bunch or workstations at your place of business I'd like to see that too!
  • Post some specs and history about your farm too. I'm sure these rigs are your 'babies' so lets hear about them.
  • If you need hosting PM Oni, he will fix you up nice.
  • PLEASE keep this thread clean.
So let's see those farms! :D

Here are my comps

http://ctandt.topcities.com/FoldingCompMain.jpg

http://ctandt.topcities.com/FoldingComp.jpg

The first one is not my main so don't worry about the file name. It is a Duron 1Ghz with 128 Megs of SDRAM. It is running Mandrake 8.2.

The second one is my main. It is an XP2000+ with 256 Megs of PC2100 DDR RAM. It has XP Pro on it.

Also in the second pic you can see my Linksys 4 Port Router.

Each system runs 24/7. I also have 18 P4 1.8Ghz folding part-time at school.

Clint

I'll grab a few photos as well.
MVC-022F.JPG

Last edited:
This is where most the builds/ folders sit. The 3GHZ, 3.15 GHZ and 1.6GHZ machines are also her just not down in the bassment.
MVC-023F.JPG

My farm fluctuates alot, but it stays around 20 CPU's. This LAN is able to take up to 24 machines. I use a Belkin switch to fly thru the diff machines so one monitor is all I run down here.

AMD 1333 @ 1400
AMD XP 1600
AMD XP 2800 @ 2370
AMD XP 2400 @ 2250
AMD XP 2400 @ 2250
AMD T Bird 1000
AMD T Bird 800
AMD T Bird 1400
AMD T Bird 1400
AMD T Bird 1400
P III 750
P4 2000 @ 2600
P4 2200 Xeon
P4 2200 Xeon
P4 2200 Xeon
P4 2200 Xeon
P4 2.53 @ 3000
P4 2800 @ 3150
P4 1600 @ 2200
P4 1600

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, where's Gnerma's farm? I'd post mine but no camera.

steve

Well no pics, but can we just post the histories/stories behind our rigs anyway?

OK Here we go!

Melchior-1: Originally a PII-400 running RedHat, I upgraded it to a 700Mhz slot Athlon when my Radeon VIVO was freed up by an upgrade in my main machine. Its now hooked to my TV to play movies and my Anime music videos. On top of that it can record the video output of my 9700 Pro off my main rig! It also runs my Webwasher ad-filter proxy and of course Folding@Home.

Balthasar-2: My dads main computer for the home business. It inherited my K7T266 and XP1800 that my mom won for me at one the original AMD rallys. Runs rock solid stable running OfficeXP and Netscape all day. Folds of course.

Casper-3: My main rig! Currently watercooled XP2400 and A7N8X deluxe, 1GB Corsair XMS. Stuck at 192FSB until I mod the chipset voltage. Full tower case with 2 extra 5" bays added to the top, its a monster! Also only machine running XP. Folds when I'm not gaming on it.

Lilith-4: My secondary machine with a second monitor right next to my main, it runs all my communication with Trillian, 3 instances of mIRC, Netscape email, progress quest, EMIII and lets my browse the web while I'm playing games or doing something else on my Main. Also play music on it. Its an XP1600+ on an A7N266-VM that I modded so I could OC it. Does 168FSB with std voltages giving me 1766Mhz of folding power!

Dogma-5: My moms office computer here at home. She inherited my first machine bought for overclocking. Its an original KT7 and my Athon Tbird 800. That CPU has been through hell! It keeps chugging away though and is basically used the same as my dads computer. Another folder.

Gateway: Our first modern computer a gateway P-75! It now sits in a wooden cabinet and runs Freesco linux off a floppy and serves as our router/firewall/gateway for the whole network. I found a dip switch on it that switches from 75Mhz to 90Mhz, woohoo!

Honorable Mention: The Cyrix 150+! The first computer I got for myself! Its gaming performance was less than our P-75. Luckily I found a FSB dip switch and got it from 120Mhz to 133Mhz. It got unbeleivably hot so it got the nickname Smokin'Cyrix. Ran SETI for a long time, and I can't remember how many overnight renders it did for me in Bryce back then. Got replaced by a P-166@200 recently for a internet browsing box. Still works but its only a paperweight now.

Phew that was a lot of typing!

-Rav

Last edited:
Alrighty here is my happy family

gnerma-26.02.03-02.jpg

From left to right:

XP 1600+ @ 1752 MHz (10.5 x 166)
AX-7 /w a 53cfm fan
Abit KX7-333 revision 1.1
256mb of samsung original PC2700 /w agressive timings
Sapphire Radeon 8500LE 64mb (this card runs at 275/275 stock)
This rig is also my LAN rig (my main rig is a klunky tank), that is why it has the nicer video card in it.

Dual XP 1600+ @ 1667 MHz (12.5 x 133)
1 SLK-800 & 1 SK7 both with 53cfm fans
MSI K7D Master L
256mb of reprogrammed Mushkin PC2400 running moderate timings (I bought this stick from SSS, I love it)
TNT2 Ultra 32mb with a dead fan on the GPU cooler.. it still lives on no problem, I would be afraid to run any 3d aps on it though.
I haven't done anything with the duallie yet but fold with it, I'll eventually use it for video encoding and perhaps to run a server.

XP 2100+ TbredB @ 2003 MHz (10.5 x 190)
SLK-800 /w 53cfm fan
EPoX 8RDA
512mb of Samsung PC3200 running moderate timings
Leadtek Geforce4 TI4400 @ 285/630 (the GPU sucks)
This is my primary rig of course, it's awesome I love it :)

Tbird 950 @ 950 MHz (9.5 x 100)
Cheap HS /w a 60mm fan which actually cools pretty well
Biostar M7VIG
192mb of PC133
Onboard video
It's my most ghetto rig and I even came up with a cheezy name for it. It is..

The Black Gateway

gnerma-26.02.03-01.jpg

I took an old gateway with a 350 MHz P2 in it, stripped all of its hardware out and installed the above stuff. It had an 80w proprietary PSU so I had to put a 300w unit in the base of the case. I have to short the power on pins to turn it on unfortunately. Gateway had it wired in a strange way so I can't just plug the power switch in. Other than that, I'm happy with it :)

All my rigs have internet connectivity through my annoying Dlink DI-604 router which you see on top of my primary rig. I want to break that thing for a different reason every day but folding would be very difficult without it :)

On the far right is my parent's rig that I built for them. It's out in the living room all by its lonesome..

1600+ @ 1400 MHz (stock fsb etc)
AX-7 /w 53cfm fan
Biostar M7VIG
256mb of PC133
Onboard Video

All my rigs stay on 24/7, even my parent's.

Fold on! :beer:

Last edited:
OK, here are most of them. The numbers on the PC correspond with the PC# at my farm page here...so go there if you want detailed specs of each of them. I don't have numbers 9, 10 and 11 pictured. 9 I gave to my grandfather (it still folds), 10 I just didn't take a picture of and 11 is just a laptop and doesn't run folding anymore.

Jam012.jpg

My workspace:
Jam004.jpg

Top rack:
Jam005.jpg

Bottom rack with networking:
Jam013.jpg

Closet PCs:
Jam008.jpg

I know you can't see much of most all of them, but man is space tight here :] I'll have individual shots (hopefully with a better cam) on my farm site one of these days.

This is about half of my farm, MY half. The rest are my friends' and I don't have any pictures of them.

The first one is my main computer. It has an Athlon XP 1900 overclocked to a 2000. I know, not a big overclock, the FSB doesn't overclock more than 2 or 3 MHz. It's on an Abit KR7A-RAID and one day I hope to take advantage of the RAID. It has 512Mb Crucial 2100. And then there's my trusty Leadtek Geforce3 that I changed the cooling on. I love this card. When I first got it and took it out of the bag, a capacitor fell out with it. My first thought was "Hmmm, must be an extra." I'm pretty dumb sometimes. Then I looked at some pictures of it and realized mine had broken off. Well, I had waited a week for my new $380 vid card, I'm not about to send it back and wait some more. I took out my soldering iron and sloppily reattached it. It was my first time soldering anything too, but it came out well. The cap I'm talking about is the one on the corner closest to the camera. You can see it's a little crooked. I can overclock from 200/460 to 225/530. For the price of upgraded cooling I put off a vid card upgrade for a couple more months. Then I have rounded cables that I did myself for better airflow. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it has lights!!

MyMainFolder.jpg

This next one is my trusty backup computer. It has an Athlon 1200MHz running at 1400MHz and has been humming along since Jan. 17. To have a computer not screw up in that amount of time is a great accomplishment for myself. It has an Asus A7V266-C with 128Mb of Crucial 2100. I cut two 120mm holes into it for better cooling and put in a temp probe to monitor it. It's dead quiet! Then if things get a little hot, I just turn up the fans.

TrustyFolder.jpg

Hey folding friends...Here is a pic of my farm as is....i have a few upgrades in mind and i'll post pics as soon as i can.

History of farm:
I started farming about a little over a year ago, it started with a 433 celery and now consists of celeron's, duron's, tbird's, p3's

Current farm picture...
Dell - celeron 566
board puter - 1.2 duron
server under table - xp1600
computer on desk - 1.4 tbird @ 1.533
living room computer - 633 celeron
laptop - 750 piii

various other computers at a place i used to work at

scoobiedoo
farm1.jpg

Last edited:
The cabinet is made of 1/2" plywood. I am still working on a couple OS glitches, but it should soon be down to 1 HDD, and by summer I hop to have 5 boards running in that space.

the 2 layers there now are ESC K7SEM boards with 128 ram and a Duron 1.2Ghz CPU The black object near the bottom is my poor old PII 266 laptop that is pounding away at with the on GAH units for us.

yatta.jpg

What's not seen is my dualie with 1600+s on a ASUS A7M266-D with 512 ram,which is still in need of an appearance boost (I've got the money and ambition, but not the time)

Also off the scene, I have one PII400 behind me and another at work and my server, set up in a decent datacenter, is currently running a cheap biostar board with a pIII 733 CPU and 512 ram, until I get my dual board back for it.

Sorry I don't have pictures of the rest of the farm. I intend to rebuild my cabinet once I fill it up, to make a more expandible design.

farm.jpg

In the black box you see my 1600+ linux box.

In the white one behind it, there is a 200mhz dell that is my internet gateway. Also back in that corner under all the cables is my 5 port linksys hub (now have a 16 port dell switch) and my old 3com Home Connect cable modem

The big white thing is my 2.61ghz P4

The grey HP is my aunts 2.53ghz HP media center PC that I was testing at the time.

The rest of the computers are elsewhere in the house or at friends houses.

AmigoThree said:
... and my old 3com Home Connect cable modem

w00r! a 3com home connect! I've had mine since late 2000, you can't see it in my pic because it is buried under a load of cables behind my rigs :)

the farm

Arkaine cracks his knuckles in preparation to decipher the sig and make comments about the folding boxen he controls. Pics will soon follow when I borrow or buy my boss' digital camera.

Guru- 1 1st comp ever built by me DOB 12/01. Currently an XP 2400 @ 2304. The primary and gaming box. Win2k. Owned by me.

Piccolo- 2 Originally a comp for the significant other. Now a 2100+ @ 2150. Also a gaming box. WIn2k. Owned by me.

Dende- 3 From my original farm of 3 PC's, this is a fujitsu laptop. Celeron @500. Win2k and Redhat 8. Owned by me.

Linuxbox- 4 A recent addition, linux box is kept for work and study of alternative operating systems. XP @ 1716 Currently Redhat 8. Owned by me.

Ginger'sbox- 5 The new computer for the significant other. XP @ 1666, currently down. Win XP Home. Sort of owned by me.

Zacsbox- Tbird 1200. Redhat 8. Belongs to my friend. I admin the darn thing.

N8'sbox- Xp @ 1701. Win XP Pro. Built by me, adminned by me, owned by Nathan.

Wes'sbox- P3 @ 933 HP. Win XP Pro. One of the 3 original computers I folded on when I joined the project. Adminned by me, owned by Wes.

Leslie'sbox- Duron @ 933. Box belonging to Wes' girlfriend. Win2k.

Dad's box- XP @ 1522. Win2k. Box I threw together for my father.

Seiji's boxen- XP @ 1666, XP @ 1733, P3 733. Built by me except for the emachine, owned by Seiji. No internet yet so these are down. Win XP Pro.

Kenji'sbox- Duron @ 1284. Built by Kenji, overclocked by me. WinXP Pro.

Lago Vista High School Science Lab- 4 Dell P3 800's, running win98. Not sure if these are still folding or not.

Val'sbox- XP @1533. Win XP Home. Made some repairs and extracted folding as the price.

Work CPU's, all running gentoo linux-

Egret- dual MP 2100
Dove- dual MP 2100
Swan- dual MP 2000
Sparrow- dual MP 1900
Pewee- dual MP 1800
Vireo- dual MP 1800
Wagtail- dual MP 1800
Raven- dual MP 1800
Quail- dual MP 1700

Emu- my workstation Tbird 1.4
Penguin- XP @ 1624
Falcon- Tbird 1.4
Vulture- Tbird 1.4
Heron- XP 1800
Jaeger- XP 1800
Goshawk- Tbird 1.4
Raptor- XP @ 1750 currently not under my power
Swan-win2k- Tbird 1000 (the only windows box at work)

Back