• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone tried bba 9500pro and crystal orb??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tainice

k, i was using blue orb to cool my bba 9500pro..highest clock achieved is 315..which is pretty lame, so i purchased a crystal orb from newegg and it arrived today...guess what...it didn't make a contact with core itself at all (i use a flash light to check it). anyway, despite the flaw, i was determined to put the combo to test...yeah, i almost burned my skin off when i touch the back-side of the card... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Probably a stupid question, but did you take the GPU shim off before you put the orb on?

nYmph

have we not made our point clear yet that the cryorb sucks, if you're going for a TT gpu cooling solution use a blorb

but nymph is right the shim is the problem

diffs:
ChromeOrb is big, nickel coated copper, with stems (sort of).
Blorb is aluminum, smallish, is made of 2 pieces soldered together as the base (not a good thing), but has more, angled fins.

oh, and the colors are different.

The Chrome Orb is better.
I don't think the Blorb is made any longer.
There was an Orange Orb that didn't get distributed in the US, but it seemed pretty good. It was one piece of aluminum, slightly shorter than the Blorb (didn't take up a PCI slot), a little faster fan, Orange, and performed better than the Blorb. It is a lot like Sappire's custom cooler for their newer Radeons.

crystal orb is loud. Even at 7v, it's louder (not a lot, but very noticeably) than my other 80mm fans...

Ok so if you have a card that doesnt have the two holes for mounting a hsf. and you want to replace the stock one, what/which gpu cooler is best? im a noob and have never heard of blorbs and corbs and whatnot..lol..any help?:)

i did not take off the gpu shim..i was afraided...cuz i already made a scatch or two during the process of taking off original hsf. anyway, i solved the problem after reapply ASIII again, now it is all good to go...my 8rda+ will arrive tomorrow..i cannot wait!!!

pip said:
the real reason the cryorb is bad is that the chrome coating is an extremely poor conductor of heat and tt used a much faster(and louder) fan to compensate

sand the base then. btw, i don't thingk orb is loud AT ALL...i already have like 5 fans inside of case, one more won't hurt it much. i will report my result once i have my nforce2 + 2100 + 2 x Twinmos setup up...oh yeah...

Hey so if say i remove the shim of my r95p and mount the cryorb on it, everything will be fine?
I thought of getting it once, but my friend say it wouldn't fit...

12si said:
Hey so if say i remove the shim of my r95p and mount the cryorb on it, everything will be fine?
I thought of getting it once, but my friend say it wouldn't fit...

it will

Back