• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2100 overclocking - results and questions.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry I wasn't specific in my post. What you want to do is set a low enough multiplier so you know you aren't pushing your cpu further than it will go. Then raise the fsb in 5MHz increments, testing for stability as you go by playing UT2003 or something like that, until you hit the wall, then back it down 1MHz at a time until you are stable. Then test it overnight with Prime95. I use UT2003 while I'm overclocking because if I can play that game then I can definately get through Prime95 overnight. You'll want to end up with a multiplier and fsb combo that will give you the highest stable fsb and 2300MHz or so cpu (or whatever the highest your cpu will go stable).
Raising your fsb as well as your cpu will give you the best performance because you are increasing your memory bandwidth as well as your cpu speed. It makes a huge difference to do both.

caliguy said:

Tried 200x11/11.5 and system won't boot.

200x11=2200 or 177x13=2303.44

Which would be better performance for my setup.

Thanx pelikan

Try 190 x 12 =2280 . I would think that 200 fsb versus 177 would give you better proformance.

Not stable @ 190x12 either....................i'll play around with the numbers and see what happens. Seems my board and chip like the multiplier set @13.

I appreciate the info, keep it coming.

Cali

You need to go up little by little. You have 177 x 13, so try 182 x 12.5, and then if that works try 187 x 12, etc.

haha.. I was reading this and had to lol.

I noticed that the only working settings you can get are at a multiplier of 13.

You have to unlock your chip in order to have access to all the mutipliers below 13. :)

That's the reason none of the other settings are working. If you try a multiplier above 13 and lower your FSB to lik 120 it will probably work because anything above 13 is enabled. That doesn't do much good considering what you want is a lower mutiplier and higher FSB though.

caliguy said:
quote:

"Did that bios come on the board or did you have to flash it?"

The board came with 1001G, and I flashed it to 1002.
I would definately flash to 1002 if you get the board, it takes care of some issues, nothing major and better overclocking options.

Hope that helps,
Cali

Do you guys think that 4 days on prime 95 with an overclock of 11 X 190 will give me a good burn in, or should I do 10 X 200 or 12 X 190? My mobo and latest bios ether allows 13 and above or 12 and below multipliers depening on if I unlock the CPU. I just don't want to have to keep wiping the conductive pen off the chip everytime I want to raise the multiplier to 13 or 14. I want to get a good burn in and then try for 14 X 180 (or as high as I can get it at a multi of 14) or 13 X (190 - 200)

What do you guys suggest. The parts are in my sig.

Last edited:
dpapag said:
Do you guys think that 4 days on prime 95 with an overclock of 11 X 190 will give me a good burn in, or should I do 10 X 200 or 12 X 190? My mobo and latest bios ether allows 13 and above or 12 and below multipliers depening on if I unlock the CPU. I just don't want to have to keep wiping the conductive pen off the chip everytime I want to raise the FSB to 13 or 14. I want to get a good burn in and then try for 14 X 180 (or as high as I can get it at a multi of 14) or 13 X (190 - 200)

What do you guys suggest. The parts are in my sig.

The FSB is the larger number and the smaller is the multiplier: 13 (multi) x 180 (FSB).

The higher your FSB, the better your performance. If you can get 200 FSB or more you are lucky and should do it. When you are happy with your FSB, then find how high you can set your multiplier while keeping the high FSB.
As far as Prime95 goes, there are a lot of different opinions on how long to burn in. I use it overnight.

revolver365 said:
haha.. I was reading this and had to lol.

I noticed that the only working settings you can get are at a multiplier of 13.

You have to unlock your chip in order to have access to all the mutipliers below 13. :)

That's the reason none of the other settings are working. If you try a multiplier above 13 and lower your FSB to lik 120 it will probably work because anything above 13 is enabled. That doesn't do much good considering what you want is a lower mutiplier and higher FSB though.

Lower multipliers work at lower fsb (182x12.5 works but 187x12 didn't). The chip is definately a 6-8-1, DUT3C 0249, therefore tbred.
Tried the 13.5 multiplier at a lower fsb (around 171) and it worked recognised as a 2800+. When I lower the multiplier the chip is recognised as 2600+.
I am running 182x12.5 right now.

Cali

Cali - 182 x 12.5 - looking good.

The limit you found at 187 is probably your motherboard rather than the multiplier. Many A7N8X's top out at 185 fsb without mods.

Bumped it up to 183x12.5 = 1288.87MHz (WCPUID) and running prime95 torture now.

Will performance suffer alot if, say we were to use 171x13.5, which now shows up as XP2800+. I ran 3DMark2001 & SiSandra and got better results with this setting then any I ran before.
I understand that higher fsb lower multiplier is best, but if I had just walked into a store and bought a XP2800+ system and knew nothing about overclocking, wouldn't the system have 166x13.5 settings?

Cali

caliguy said:

Lower multipliers work at lower fsb (182x12.5 works but 187x12 didn't). The chip is definately a 6-8-1, DUT3C 0249, therefore tbred.
Tried the 13.5 multiplier at a lower fsb (around 171) and it worked recognised as a 2800+. When I lower the multiplier the chip is recognised as 2600+.
I am running 182x12.5 right now.

Cali

You should try with just one stick of ram. I have the same setup as you but only 1 stick of pc3200 and I can reach 200fsb no prob. Do you have just two sticks or the TWINX deal?

Also there has been information going around that apparently the stepping on the Northbridge has some effect on FSB and that people with an A3 stepping are able to go 200+ , and people with A2 stepping seem to be going < 200. fsb ..

caliguy said:
Bumped it up to 183x12.5 = 1288.87MHz (WCPUID) and running prime95 torture now.

Will performance suffer alot if, say we were to use 171x13.5, which now shows up as XP2800+. I ran 3DMark2001 & SiSandra and got better results with this setting then any I ran before.
I understand that higher fsb lower multiplier is best, but if I had just walked into a store and bought a XP2800+ system and knew nothing about overclocking, wouldn't the system have 166x13.5 settings?

Cali

3DMark and Sandra will give you a good idea of performance. Also check FPS in games and run the UT2003 benchmark at these different settings and keep whatever proves to be the best. If your performance is suffering at higher FSB then you are getting errors. So you either need more voltage (watch temps) or to run the FSB slower. It is possible that 171 FSB will give you the best performance.

revolver365 said:

Also there has been information going around that apparently the stepping on the Northbridge has some effect on FSB and that people with an A3 stepping are able to go 200+ , and people with A2 stepping seem to be going < 200. fsb ..

How do I find out what the stepping is??

I am using 2 sticks of 512.

Cali

To get the stepping you will either have to remove the heatsink on the NB, or try downloading WCPUID, run it and click the Chipset info button and look at the info about the "Host bridge" most top right frame under Revision. I think that should be the stepping, although I'm not 100% that's correct or if it will work. You should get the newest WCPUID there is which is WCPUID 3.1a

Thanx "The Coolest"

Guess I have the wrong stepping, A2.

WCPUID.JPG

I'll try the single memory stick later after my burn in.

Cali

Actually wcpuid has been reporting false information when it comes to displaying the northbridge stepping.. there has been many people that have had an A2 stepping show up in WCPUID and when they physically check the ship on the motherboard find out that it's an A3 stepping.

The way to really check what stepping you have is to phyiscally take off the heatsink on the northbridge, which involves removing the motherboard because you have to have acess to these two things underneath it.. anywho you can find info somewhere else on that.

cliff notes: I would'nt trust WCPUID.

www.nforcershq.com has lots of information in their forums.

I'm now at overclocking and realy want to start

I recently upgraded my CPU to a 2100+ and its a T-berdB AXDA2100DUT3C AIUHB

I have a cheap K7S5A MB Rev.1
Now when i got the cpu it was running at 2100+ The after taking the HSF off and reading the Model # to make sure i got a tberdB I put the HSF back on and now my CPU is running @ 2200+ With no Overclocking since i havent flashed my bios yet with HoneyX Bios

Now i'm scared to flash it to lose my 2200+ @ 14X

I try SpeedFan and got 146.7/36.7/146.7 For 1998MHZ Ran prime95 for 8 hours and no errors

So my question is since i'm realy new at this! my 2100 can't got lower than 13x because its not unlocked? Or I can't go higher than 13X

K7S5A Rev.1
2100XP TberdB AIUHB @ 1858MhZ
Retail Fan
2 X 512 Megs DDR2100
2 X 40GB
1X 120GB
1 X 46GB
Maxtor ATA controler
Geforce3 V8200 Deluxe

Back