• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suck or blow with shroud?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bunyip

So, if I have a shround on my heater core and one 120mm fan, should the fan suck or blow air through the shroud?

Why?

It doesnt really make a difference, I tested it within my ability to see that it didnt matter at all. but suck and blow is the best.

My personal experience has been that every case I’ve built has been different...with my antec server case I can set my fan up to suck through the radiator and have had better temps that way then visa-versa. But with my generic case on my other rig i have to blow air through the radiator from the front of the case to get lower temps... So my advice would be to try both setups and see which one works best for your case as every setup is different...there is no absolute answer here...it's all dependent on how air flow works with your particular setup. So try them both and test to see which one yield’s the best results for your setup. That's part of the fun of overclocking and case moding.

Having the fan set to suck air through the heatercore is more effeceint and draws air more smoothly through the core with less noise and more airflow because of less pressure drop. Depending on the power of the fan you may or may not see a large difference between the fan set so its blowing or sucking off the heatercore.

Looking for an opinion from someone with "hard" data, I asked my wife, "suck or blow, which is better"...she says it really doesn't matter...they both have the same result. :p

For me the setup in my case determines the position of the fan. I would use suck by default, but it looks like putting the fan just behind the front case grille and the radiator behind it for clearance purposes is just as good.

I think it depends, I usually blow if i use one fan, but then again having the fan on the back out also mean that all your other components in the case get cooled a little bit more from the airflow, which i don't think is as much when blowing.

dutchcedar said:
Looking for an opinion from someone with "hard" data, I asked my wife, "suck or blow, which is better"...she says it really doesn't matter...they both have the same result. :p

lol

I found that by standing "it" up there is a lot less "back" pressure.

I have my 120mm Mechatronics fan sucking through my heatercore.. it works, but i'm going to try and run it at either 7v or rheo that monster!

Ok from peoples posts here its quite obvious that it dose not matter.

also why dont you try it bothways round its a 5min job to turn the fan round and see what happens.

thanks for the advice. I'll let you know after I get the rig built

Back