• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you calculate pump's contribution of heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wangster

Official O/C Santa Ferret
Does anyone have a formula or even educated guess as to how much pump heat is contributed based on the watts the pump uses?

Thanks in advanced,

Wangster

P.S. I did a forum search for pump heat watts, but nothing definitive came up.

Wangster said:
Does anyone have a formula or even educated guess as to how much pump heat is contributed based on the watts the pump uses?

Thanks in advanced,

Wangster

P.S. I did a forum search for pump heat watts, but nothing definitive came up.
This is very hard to 'guesstimate'. There are many factors that would contribute to pump heat entering the system. I assume you mean in an inline system? Really depends on how efficiently the pump is running with the pressure drop through the system. And even then, we don't know 'exactly' how much. What pump did you have in mind?

If knowing how much heat will be added by the pump is really that important for you to know, why not run a simple test?

Measure the temperature of some water in a bucket (the amount you expect in your system), cycle it through your pump for an hour and measure the temperature again.

In the real world I don't see where it matters much (if at all), because we're constantly cooling the fluid in a radiator BEFORE we send it to the CPU(s), right?

If its of any interest to you at all, running an Eheim pump in an aquarium (don't nit-pick me on the size of pump and aquarium) it doesn't raise the water temperature noticeably...its not NEAR the concern many people here make it out to be.

The temperature of your room will make a much bigger impact than the heat from a pump. :D

However, an aquarium has a lot more water to heat then your typical WC loop.

It's all inter-related so I'm trying to quantify all the variables to get a better understanding of why a cooling system is effective or not.

I think I will try some measurements, thanks for the suggestion.

Back