• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My koolance spit on my face!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martindemon

Someone has an idea how to troubleshoot my case?
Here it is:
A few days back, i noticed a little (very little) leak on the output of my reservoir. So my first idea was that somehow the connections were deteriorated. But i did not touch anything in the system so that did not make sense... I opened the reservoir (after having turned my system upside down) and i heard a big BWOOOOOSHH! Like it missed air inside. But what i did not know at that time is that it had an enormous pressure.
So tonight i decided to redo the leaking connection (output of the res). I put the computer on a bench and proceeded to unscrew the EVIL screw under the Koolance case. Water began to exit as soon as it was loose a little bit. My slow brain did not have enough time to think "watch out!" so when the screw was totally unscrewed, it became a weapon, if you see what i mean. Water was expulsed at firefighter speed and i had a lot of tire smelling water everywhere on my face and in my mouth! That's when i understood it was a pressure build up... So i'm thinking about these possibilities:

1) The connection is leaking and it makes a pressure buildup on the reservoir (that does not make any sense with me...)
2) The pulling pump (output) is dead and the pushing pump (input) create a pressure buildup because of the mechanical load.
3) The reservoir has a leak?

Is there something i don't understand? My temperatures looked alright the last time i checked but i'm not sure... I actually don't overclock (watercooling just to be quiet...)

Hm...... my thought is that air was somehow trapped in the radiator and water was forced out by it when it tried leaving from the hole (screw) .When you filled up the reservoir did you tried turning the case on its normal position and start it and then refilling it? (i know it has an indicator on the reservoir but if you stay there then a LOT of air gets pumped around, and repeating this several times will make sure that it is almost air free). I do not see a reason for pressure to build up if one pump is not working. The other will push water out of the reservoir and then suck water from the reservoir to repeat (right?).
Looking again at your post, made me think "why leaking through a plastic connection?" (plastic + hose).That can only happen if a) pressure is being build up inside, but still it should leak from a metal-hose connection and b)if the connection was not OK (you did connect it firmly right?).
What temperatures were you getting before noticing this?

"Water was expulsed at firefighter speed..." this IS possible but it will require a rotary pump failing (take a look at the RX7's engine). I'm almost sure that the pumps used in Koolances will not have this effect since they do not "close" the circulation of the water when then pump it (they are not pressure-based pumps like a rotary pump).

The output of the reservoir (plastic+hose) is the only connection leaking. My temperature were normal last time i checked (27C idle, 31C load.)
Perhaps i should make it work upside down just to refill it, letting the reservoir opened until it has settled. Then screw it and testing for leaks...? Perhaps i could make a test only with water; that brings another question: How do i fully empty it?? The liquid stays in the tubes if i empty the reservoir. I could make it work to use the input pump as liquid sucker to empty the circuit? Will the output pump break if it has no water to pump?

I bet when you filled and sealed the system the fluids were cool. After being sealed and heating, the fluids expanded causing the pressure. The leaking fitting must have been the weakest link in the system. I don't know how that res is setup, but I would fill almost full, bring it up to highest temps and then seal it.

peace.
unloaded

What UnLoadeD says should make sense, but your temps are not as high as to "boil" the water (not even increase it's pressure that much).
The way to fill it : Turn the case upside down. Open the screw. Use a syringe to fill the reservoir up to the "Refill-------" point. Start the computer and after a couple of seconds (not longer) turn it off. Poor some more water in. Repeat until the water level is up to the hole (to the bottom of it).Screw the screw in.
The way to empty it : Turn the case on it's normal position (fans up). Put it on the edge of the desk so water can leave. Put a cup, a bowl wtv under the screw. Unscrew slowly. When it comes loose remove the screw. Insert a straw in the hole and direct it to the outlet pump. Wait until the reservoir is almost empty. Shake it gently to empty it completely.

My temps are not high. When i start the machine, it's 22 or 23C in my room and the Koolance settles at 27C idle. I'm sure the fluid expansion is negligeable for this temp variation. Anyway, i first tested the pumps alone without the motherboard and it leaked a bit.
There is something else: I think the color of my liquid became less transparent. I hope there was not a chemical reaction or something. I just put the Koolance liquid (exactly the quantity they said in the manual) when i built it up the first time 6 months ago. It looks like dirty aquarium water! And i used true steam distilled water... Now i'm testing it again (added water, added a bit of Koolance liquid until full.

I noticed that when i put down the case on it's side, it was wet under it when i put it back up! And when i put it again upside down to open the res, it made again a pressure sound...

Now i put it back on it's feet and plugged the motherboard and all and i'm doing a test. I'm checking it. Else, i'll talk to my Koolance guy (mutepc) and tell him about the problem...

Another reason for this pressure buildup might be - infact, probably is - cavitation. As the pump impellor spins, eddy currents and turbulence in the water create areas of low and high pressure. As there is always some dissolved gas in water (leave a glass of tapwater out overnight and see) these low pressure areas allow gas to dissolve out of solution and grow into bubbles. This is howcome you can completely bleed your system and have bubbles back in it after a week or two. Anyway, these bubbles buildup, pressurizing the water that you experienced.

martindemon said:
My temps are not high. When i start the machine, it's 22 or 23C in my room and the Koolance settles at 27C idle. I'm sure the fluid expansion is negligeable for this temp variation. Anyway, i first tested the pumps alone without the motherboard and it leaked a bit.
There is something else: I think the color of my liquid became less transparent. I hope there was not a chemical reaction or something. I just put the Koolance liquid (exactly the quantity they said in the manual) when i built it up the first time 6 months ago. It looks like dirty aquarium water! And i used true steam distilled water... Now i'm testing it again (added water, added a bit of Koolance liquid until full.

I noticed that when i put down the case on it's side, it was wet under it when i put it back up! And when i put it again upside down to open the res, it made again a pressure sound...

Now i put it back on it's feet and plugged the motherboard and all and i'm doing a test. I'm checking it. Else, i'll talk to my Koolance guy (mutepc) and tell him about the problem...

Sounds like one of the connections is not ok, and allows air to be trapped in the radiator, it has nothing to do with pressure. (read my first post , first line)

Back