• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahh, server fan died, plz help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

Well, I decided to open up my server that just runs my internet firewall for me, because it sounded a little to quiet and my guess was right that the fan had died. It must have been running like this for weeks, I never really got to it. Luckily, its only a pentium 2 266 and it still had a heatsink on it. But the fan just doesnt spin anymore, no more juice, no more kick, ect.

I guess my first question is, when I pulled the heatsink off, their wasnt any "die" or "heatspreader" on this chip, and their wasnt any type of thermal compund on the heatsink or the chip. I decided to just put some AS3 on the heatsink rub it in, then wipe it off. Was this a bad idea, or will this help the fanless p2.

My second question is, where do I get a replacement HS/F for this thing. Its Socket 7. I tried using a Socket A heatsink, but the board has capacitators to close to the socket. Is a fan really needed anyways? I have a 39 CFM sunon intake in the front and thats it for fans. But, in old motherboards, as you know, the cpu was usually down by the front intake, so the sunon does put some flow over the heatsink which I figured would be good.

Also, I dont think I have ever seen a computer so dusty. I mean this thing was like.....I cant really describe it, but when I opened the side, dust came flying out, the power supply looked like it had no intake / outake ventilation, the heatsink and the broken fan were totally covered in dust balls ( Probably the reason the fan died, because the moter burnt out), and everything in the slots was just grey with dust.

So two main things. Was putting AS3 inbetween the heatsink and the cpu a good idea? And, does anyone know where I can get a replacement fan for this p2 SOCKET 7. BTW, the board is AOPEN if that helps to tell you how old this thing is.

Thanks for everyones help, i wub u all!:p ;)

Someone on ebay might have a socket 7 heatsink for ya. Pentium 2's will be fine with passive cooling. My fan quit working on my P2 333 and it was in a sunroom. Didn't fry, just ran hot.

Ok, I think what you have is a Socket 370 cpu. A heatsink is needed, but you don't need one with an extremely fast fan. The cheapest Socket A heatsink for $9.99 ought to be more than enough.

AS3 is a good idea, don't rub it all off, just spread a thin layer.

I have seen passively cooled PIII 500's but they had ducting to the powersupply. It was in a Gateway. Good luck.

Alright, well I guess the 80 MM fan from Sunon pushing 39 cfm at the bottom front bezel (which is where the cpu is located in this old thing) will be enough then. Thanks guys, just wanted to be reassured.

well if it has been running for that for weeks and you haven't had any problems.. I wouldn't spend cash on it.. :)

Or then just put on a new fan there.. why do you have to get a new heatsink anyways? just get a new fan?

I'd take the fan off of the heatsink to give it a little better cooling(assuming you haven't already done this).

)did you try to get allt he dust out from around the fan? i have seen 2 computers where the dust in teh HS/fan actualyl stopped the fan and all ineeded to do was clean out the dust and it worked... if the fan is acutaly dead you can prolly just leave it w/ the cooler on there... my PII 233 ran for about a month before i was looking around in there for fun and saw it dead... so i twistytied on a 50mm fan over the other one and it is still running for my mom just fine...:D
(oh and the AS3 was prolly a good idea since that is what AS3 is for:D

I reckon just about any 40 mm fan would do? Just remove the old one and put a new one there in its place? or is this some funky design where you can't remove the fan?

on my celery 500, i just have a volcano 6cu+ hs on it, no fan, i did use as3 and the cpu has a heat spreader, i use it as my file server and seti, no probs, but my psu is right next to the hs and the psu has a fan in it so the chip is sort of being cooler by the fan, as long as youre not having problems, i wouldnt go out an buy another fan

Well I guess after puting a layer of AS3 on the cpu very thin, it decided to fry, so its gone now, R.I.P little guy. So, now I need to get a new cpu, but I think im just gonna get a duron and a little stick of ram to throw in there.
EDIT : IT CAME BACK TO LIFE!!!!!!!

Last edited:
IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!! :D

You might try asking around some people you know and see if they have an old p2 laying around that doesn't get used. They might give you the heatsink and fan off of it. A guy at work gave me one and I just keep those little things like heatsinks and old ram laying around incase someone else I know needs a part. :)

Awesome!!! Better yet, take one of those case fans and figure out a way to screw it onto the existing heatsink!!! :D

Im curious, what does a pentium 2 socket 7 look like, Ive never heard of a p2 socket 7....Only pentium 1's and K6-2's...

I think he meant socket 370. Did Intel make Socket 370 Celeron 266's??? (early celerons showed up as pentium 2's in CPUID and the like).

Back