• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help on circuit for baybus...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kooshball

hi all
i have 5 fans in my computer that someitmes get too loud, i want to be able to control them.
im thinking of making a baybus but not sure what to do.
im taking an electronics class in school and have access to a PLD machine that can maybe make an chip(s) i might need for this.
would that help at all?
becuase i dont want too much wiring if i can use a chip to replcae some of it
im thinking of having a breadboard with wires and chip on it and have the fans plug into the breadboard...

any idea?
thx

koosh

Breadboards can get rather bulky and I wouldnt recommend it, would rather use just a printed CB and cross connect the wires on it. (I dont have much time right now, but if no one has answered when I get back iull try explaining it)

Take a look here;
http://www.fanbus.com/

Plans and schematics for build-your-own fanbus and baybus in different flavors, by the guy who invented this stuff. Check out the Lab.
As far as a single chip to do this, most aren't readily available in the US, but you can find some simple circuits that will set up a PWM(pulse width modulation) means of controlling your fans. Here's an example;

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/51/2

Last edited:
Are the fans in your case PWM fans? (4 wire)

If they are; why not take a look at this thread: PWM Controller here... The components to build it won't cost you more than $10... Hell; I just bought enough parts to build ten of these and the entire bill was just over $40.

If they are not PWM, you could simply do the 7V Fan Mod to slow them fans down...

The lazy option would be to simply go out and buy a cheap fan controller... Sunbeam makes a 20W per channel controller with 4 channels that sells for $16 at newegg ~here~
That one would be more than capable of handling two or three fans per channel provided they are not high powered Deltas or San Aces, but I'm sure you would have mentioned that part if they were.

Hope that helps
Sebastian

What really for a fan bus... all you need is some rheostats that can with stand the current, wire, some connectors, and a bay cover plate.

My electronics is a little rusty but i think that is all you need.

Back