• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External box Water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Realgun

I am done with my external cooling system

Not done yet but thought you might want to see anyway.
Page 1 of 5
Page 3 of 5
page 4 of 5

Page 2 and 5 are missing 5 is the final product 2 is the block and fan I cant find the pics so will have to make them again. Oh well.

Last edited:
It's looking good. Keep us updated. I really like this trend to build high-performance external WC rigs. Move over Exos, here comes something meaner!

Page 2 Page 5

Please critic it.

I am running the system at 1660 at 1.65V but no matter what I do will not run 200 but oh well.
This is an XP1700A

Temps are so much cooler than the AX-7.
Air-
Tested normal Idle air cooling was 44C
Tested Prime 95 and Gaming 52C
system temp is 29C

Water-
Tested normal Idle water cooling is 34C
Tested Prime 95 and Gaming 39C.
system temp is 28C

I left all 4 fans in the system

This tells me two things I have enough air flow as the system temp is almost identical in both situations

*Edited the gaming and Prime95 test.

Last edited:
look sweet!

i assume doing an external WC rig is better as it is less heat in your tower - as for tub length, does it really affect anything else? or does it not matter much if you have a good enough pump?

I think it is a very nice clean set up!

I purchased 10 feet of 1/2 tubing for the project @ .40 for a foot :)
This is Vinyl 1/2 I.D. and 3/4 O.D.
I was going to mount the pump outside the case in a resivoir however, I could not find what I wanted and did not want to make a resovoir.
So I bought 4 feet of 3/4 I.D. and 1.00 O.D. tubeing.

I desoldered to 5/8 copper tube O.D. from the stock Ford F-150
H/C and solders in 1/2 Copper which is 1/2 I.D. LOL.
I did this as the tubing was not round near the outlet/inlet and allowed me to us a compression fitting and then barbs.

There is no restriction to the inlet as I did a fill test.

I took my 5 gallon bucket and empied it with the pump.

Pushing through the H/C and then testing with the hose from the HC and fittings was within 1-2 seconds on both test.

Flow was about 280 GPH when measured twice and 265 with H/C and fittings.

I did not test with the block as I was afraid of scratching it.

The black box is the 9X9 drain The lid is a grate.

Just to let you know I goofed and left the Vcore at 1.75 which is actually 1.8 on my system. The Vcore was dropped to 1.60 whch is 1.65 actualnow. I was at 1.65 on air 1.7 actual.

I was trying for 200 Mhz.

The Idle temp is now 32C and the full load is 36-37C.

nice nice - i was thinking the outside W/C sounds better to me - i really could not care about noise - am so used to the hum of a computer and fans as i got it right in my room.

so, what materials did u use for the outside container? (sorry if i missed it somewhere else)

The idea of a external WC has been in my mind for along time.
The system i have now will remain inside 1 case.
Thou the comp im building from scrap parts and stuff for gf will have an external WC.
Got a small scsi cd tower thingy from a friend at a big isp.
Gonna rip everything outta it and make a copper res.

Mr.Guvernment said:
nice nice - i was thinking the outside W/C sounds better to me - i really could not care about noise - am so used to the hum of a computer and fans as i got it right in my room.

so, what materials did u use for the outside container? (sorry if i missed it somewhere else)

It a black ABS drain 9X9 at home depot they also have 12X12 inches.
It has two holes and I rounded 1 hole and the Rotron (172mm@ 235 CFM free air Charts thats for BillA) almost fits the other hole you have to fill a small gap but oh well it works. Basically just a big shroud.
Look at the pics, I show the top intact and cut.

I did Dye the Monitr and the keybaord if you wondering and the Box could have been painted but was in a hurry :)
I cut the grill out then glued on an acrylic top.
No real reson as you only see the H/C and fan

Bump cause I finished. Evo Works prety good.

Only thing is when its cool at night the emps are at 32C idle but when the heater, forced hot air, kicks in it goes to 37C why sensative.

because the air temperatire raises in your room - it raises in your case as well. that is why.

Obviously if a heater turn on, it will raise the ambient temperature around the case and eventually in the case.

The case remains at 27-29C the whole time but the heater is kicking some warm air right down the wall behind the case right into the Fan and radiator Box, it really makes the water change temps in a hurry! The fan maybe slow but is very large and the rad is right there. It is keeping the water at ambient or very close to this.

This is getting interesting. I turned my system off but left the pump running. In MBM just after I turned the system on the temp was 37C. This is just from the heat of the pump and no airflow from the fan to the readiator or very little. The temps are going down however! 34 C 2 minutes after boot! 32C now about 6 minutes after boot.

^^^^ thnx for the link - not suprised this has been done - just mayeb something that will catch on more for those who want even less heat in their cases :)

Thundr7 said:
Hey, that's pretty good! I like that concept. Much like.....um......mine:

http://overclockers.com/tips1067/

:D

Good Luck with it!

Actually I was thinking about and had purchased the box over a month ago. Yours is looking good, on the cheap. I wanted mine in the desk next to the system. There is no room for the pump in my external box. I was going to build a plexi box for the pump but decided it would be easier to just put the pump insde the system.

Back