• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this design of waterblock any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strokeside

I had a block of Aluminium, and got a friend to machine out a simple design of channels into it. The inlet is on the left, it forks out into 3 parallel straight channels which flow to the right, which is where the outlet is.
Other then the curves at the inlet an outlet for the two channels that are on the outsides, there are no ther curves or tubulance creaters.
It is quite a high flow design, as it enough water passes through it in 6secs to fill a pint. I want to put it on a P4 2.0GHz.
The block is 8cm long x 5cm wide x1.3cm deep (3.2" x 2" x 0.5").
Will this design be prone to highly laminar flow?
How badly would this laminar flow affect the cooling ability of the block?
I an looking for estimates and guesses only as I have practically no data for you to draw from.

it sounds very similar to a DB-2, but with 1 inlet/exit. I have had good performance with the DB-2, especially at higher flows. If you would like to increase the turbulence, try putting a cap on it that restricts the channel area above the center.

It is not really difficult to make a block that will out-perform high end aircooling, so my best advice is to try it out and see if it suits your needs. If not, come back here and we can help you improve it.

Last edited:
Back