• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp increase by adding VGA chipset... What to expect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vedder323

I tossed a block on my 9700pro and chained it into my system. My idle temps are about 1-2 degree's higher than what I had before, "32 average right now." However, when im overclocked at 200fsb 2.0v its a totally different story. My temps scream at 45-47 degree's. My question is, should this be expected by adding a Video card into the mix? Does a 9700pro get THAT hot?

Vedder323 said:
I tossed a block on my 9700pro and chained it into my system. My idle temps are about 1-2 degree's higher than what I had before, "32 average right now." However, when im overclocked at 200fsb 2.0v its a totally different story. My temps scream at 45-47 degree's. My question is, should this be expected by adding a Video card into the mix? Does a 9700pro get THAT hot?
Need more details about the setup, what blocks, pump, rad etc. How did you plumb the system?

ahhh, sorry about that. I have the Innovatek set-2. Uses a 1046 eheim, a maxxpert 120mm radiator "wimpy" andmy cpu water block. I my config pump-block-vga-radiator.

Vedder323 said:
ahhh, sorry about that. I have the Innovatek set-2. Uses a 1046 eheim, a maxxpert 120mm radiator "wimpy" andmy cpu water block. I my config pump-block-vga-radiator.
What size tubing? I suspect that it is a combination of things. First, that pump is VERY weak and by adding another block, you really hurt the flowrate. The rad is probably a weak link too... You 'may' benefit from running pump>rad>CPU>GPU>pump but then again you may not, you will have to experiment. I really think you have just hit the limit of your H20 components. Short of getting a bigger pump and a bigger rad etc., you may have to live with the temps you have. Anytime you add another block to the chain, it cuts flowrate and adds more heat so your temp rise is pretty normal. If you had a 'bigger' system, the hit to your temps would not be as large.

Cool, I think I agree with you. Its small tubing. Innovatek crap. I would love to get thicker stuff but I dont know how upgrade. Anyhow, I was thinking of pulling the Radiator out of the case... I wonder if this would help.?.?...

That should help a lot. Do you have room for a Chevette core? What case is it?

If you really wanted to, you could remove the barbs from all your blocks, and drill out tapped holes for 1/2 ID ones. That pump also needs replacing. I'd get a Danner Mag 3 or 5, or an Eheim 1250. :)

its a shame I bought the damn thing in the first place... very pricy for what you get. Anyhow, do you have a link that shows how to upgrade my tubing to 1/2? I need pics, im not a Handyman, lol. I have a mid tower Lian li... ill post pics.

http://groups.msn.com/Veddershomepage/vedderscomppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=83
http://groups.msn.com/Veddershomepage/vedderscomppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=85
http://groups.msn.com/Veddershomepage/vedderscomppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=86

Now... if you look at this next pic, you will notice I have a small shelf under my comp. I was thinking of making a box for a psu, radiator, and my pump... What do you think? If anything, it will get it out of that hot case...

http://groups.msn.com/Veddershomepage/vedderscomppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=84

I can see 2 things that might be simple to change, both to do with fan/rad.
1) The rear fan seems to just be sitting in case behind rad with a gap between the two. If so, most of the air its drawing is coming thru the gaps not the rad. Mount it to the rad (using a shroud would even be better).
2) Front fan isn't all the way up to the front of the case, so basically its circulating your case air thru rather than drawing cooler air from outside the case. I'm assuming the 2x80mm fans are gone, can't really tell.

If you fix these two issues it should help. And another thing that I can't tell is about your filter in the bezel. If you are using the aluminum bracket (with all the small holes in it) to hold it on, this thing is very restrictive too. I leave the bracket off and the fan suction holds the filter in place. This seems to help my temps drop a few degrees.

peace.
unloaded

Back