• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking on the EpOX 8K7A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valid

Just a few quick questions/comments-

I have the "overheating shut down feature thingie" enabled. (I'm hoping other 8K7A owners will know what I'm talking about) I've got it set on 60C. How reliable is this feature?

Having some trouble overclocking the FSB. Can't raise it much of anything reliably. Would it be because I'm using the SBLive and don't have the latest VIA 4-in-1's drivers installed?

Basically the problems I'm seeing are Windows98 boots fine. I test to see if things are stable by playing a little Sacrifice (heh, my UT's on loan). Basically Sacrifice crashes, and I'm back to the BIOS again. Is Sacrifice just cranky, or am I running into some problems? I don't think it's overheating problems, but I'll monitor the temps when I get MBM installed on it.

Any suggestions are helpful - thanks.

*Edit - Go Away, stupid in-post smiley face!

I had an Epox MVP3G2 (Super 7) board with the overheat feature and it was very reliable... but definitely get MBM installed to see if you are appraoching the temp threshold for shutdown. That would be the first thing I can think of to do..... and having updated 4 in 1's is always a good thing, methinks.

SickBoy

You'd stand a better chance with a more powerful power supply. Also, raising the cpu voltage should help, but don't try it until you get a handle on your temperatures.

Update on the situation. Basically, I overclocked the FSB to 140. Loading Win98 is fine. I installed MBM on it, and I'm not seeing any temps over 45 - even after running the Sandra Burn-In for 10+ cycles of the CPU and Memory benchmarks. I've also run 3DMark2000 and 3DMark2001 to completion several times while tweaking my video card. Then again, I just installed the latest VIA 4-in-1's, and I haven't tested Sacrifice since then. Maybe Sacrifice is just extra touchy? I don't know what to think, but I know both MBM and the BIOS temps never hit over 45C (I'm guessing this makes sense because I'm only at 1470mhz with a Swiftech MC-462A installed). Any further information?

On a side note, MBM is running 3 sensors - VIA 686B-1 , 2, and 3. I'm guessing the hottest one is the CPU, the second hottest is the mobo, and the third hottest would be some measure of the case? I'm not entirely sure, information there would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Use the temps in Sandra motherboard info to determine the temps in MBM. They will be a little off but thats how I figured my 1st was CPU, 2nd was system, and 3rd was PSU.

Back