• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Block idea (Avatar)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TonyKlem

i thought up a design for a new WB i cant make it because i dont have the equipment but if someone thinks its a good idea go for it lemm kno how it does and if it good make me one ;)

i am EXTREMELY lazy so i just made the pic my avatar check it out

It's a basic star design block. As long as the star is centered over the CPU core and you do something about that 4'th side that doesn't have any water hitting it, the design will perform pretty good, slightly better (~1C) than say a TC-4/Maze 3.

IMO, bad idea. you are bringing heated water back to the core twice. As it is warmed on the first pass, and gets warmer each pass. The last pass would do far less cooling, and you may form a hotspot.

Dr.Octopus said:
IMO, bad idea. you are bringing heated water back to the core twice. As it is warmed on the first pass, and gets warmer each pass. The last pass would do far less cooling, and you may form a hotspot.

Even with moderate flow rates and a hot CPU, the water will be lucky to heat up by more than 0.4C from entry to exit. What you're describing is not a problem.

It must have a high flow rate or that small amount of absorbed heat (0.4C was it, Cathar) would not cool the cpu much.

Looks like somebody wants a free block ;-) Seriously though if you want to make your own and don't have the equipment to make something complicated why not take a look at some of the DIY blocks that have been written up in O/C? You can get the copper from www.onlinemetals.com. Otherwise you may have to spend your hard earned money on a commercial block. There have been many threads on this, but the general concensus as well as the test data rank the White Water as the best you can buy.

maybe try to figure a way like cathar said to hit that 4th side. and add a 3rd or fourth barb onto it. that way less heat circulation. even though many will vouch for what was said(including me), however you know its still that little bit more that over clockers just arent down with. now going from the size comparison to the avatar pic, enlarge the channels, cut down on the angles of the curves. you have to realize how much 180* bends (that tight) slow down water. if u get really indepth take a lil some thing from the tc-4, and add turbulators...

Back