• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking out loud - Centrifugal vs. Positive Displacement.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What if you had a large tall collumn, ~ 5 feet tall that wat say 6in in diameter. You had an outlet on the bottom of the collumn which would feed your system. Then you would have a reservoir on at the end of the loop before the pumps. Then you would have a large pump or a few smaller pumps to move the water back up to the top of the collumn. [water tower->sytem->pump] The pumps would just have to move the water out of the reservoir at the same rate as it is being filled. This might be pointless because the pumps still have to put the same amount of energy into the water to lift it as the pumps would use just pumping in the usual way in wc systems. It might, however, be a better way to create pressure in a system.

You cannot cheat in this way, and I'll tell you why. This idea fixes the amount of head that the system has by using the water column to drive the flow. The flow in the system will stabilize at a flow rate that corresponds with a resistance equal to the difference between the column water surface and the lower reservoir water surface (i.e. 5ft in this case). Since this head difference that is causing the flow is the same as the head difference that the pump is working against when refilling the first cylinder you've not gained a single thing besides two large reservoirs and a bunch of extra tubing (and roughly double the system flow resistance).

Besides, if you're going to use a tall water column to drive flow, why take only 5ft? There are lots of pumps, mine included, that can do much better than that.

posted by: greydystar:
Okay, here's the setup: 2 channel RC radio and 2 electronic speed controllers, hooked up to your pump motor and radiator fan!
Now you can control the speed of the pump and fan from across the street!!
I might do this to my friend without his knowing...just to mess with his head.
"Graystar!! Help! My computer is burning up!"
"I'll be right over"
I get there...
"I don't understand, it was up to 70C and now it's back down to 40C. False alarm I guess."
I go back home...
"Graystar!!..."

LOLZ!!!!
HiProfile
If the pump was made to pump lube (IE low-viscosity motor oil) and can pump much more lube than a normal centrifical pump can water, maybe the volume would make up for the less-effecient oil. I'm not going to bother myself with any equations, but... We all know flow rate is one of the biggest factors in a WC system, regardless of the block rad used (to an extent). Maybe some pioneer would venture into the world of oil-cooling, knowing that the dramaticly-incresed flow might make up for the oil's weaker ability to absorb/transfer heat?

unless my chem teacher is a lier i do belive taht oil actually absorbs/transfer' heat better than water...:D:D:D

Ya'll forgot a fundamental: anything else than a centrifugal pump is more than likely to be fairly noisy.

If you want more flow/pressure, use magdrive centrifugal in series, and you'll still have your peace and quiet.

unless my chem teacher is a lier i do belive taht oil actually absorbs/transfer' heat better than water...

first, I am not sure if the thermal transfer properties of oil are better than water, but I am pretty sure they aren't.

Viscosity has always been shown to be a VERY big issue in our applications, perhaps it could be overcome by doing things differently, however if you have to overcome more by using oil then what is it helping?

Here's a document on things to consider when deciding between a PD pump or a centrifugal pump.

http://www.pumpschool.com/intro/pd vs centrif.pdf

The document mentions a Best Efficiency Point (BEP) for cetrifugal pumps. I sure would like to know how to calculate that to see where on the curve our pumps are operating.

I was reading a review of the Swiftech pump (MCP-300) as compared to the Eheim 1048.

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=216

The Eheim, with a 158 GPH rating, was only pushing 43 gallons through the system, and the new Swiftech, with a 340 GPH rating, was pushing only 60 gallons. Just seems to me like we're working on the wrong end of the BEP curve.

Graystar said:

The Eheim, with a 158 GPH rating, was only pushing 43 gallons through the system, and the new Swiftech, with a 340 GPH rating, was pushing only 60 gallons. Just seems to me like we're working on the wrong end of the BEP curve.
Those results are not atypical of a lot of rigs (I personally don't use two CPU blocks, but I plan to use a heatercore, for a while). I'll also be using 3/4 tubing, not 3/8 (but that wouldn't have made a difference here)

This is an issue about the pump operating at peak energy efficiency, which we often ignore. It's nice to be able to look at a pump's curve, to determine what one really needs.

All in all, you need the most amount of "hydraulic" power, but you should pick a pump that'll run efficiently. Price is usually, and by far, the biggest selection factor: I picked up a Little Giant 2-MDQ-SC, because I found it for $40.

this has been discussed (lamented by me) on a somewhat more technically oriented forum (procooling) at some length
yes, the BEP will typically be around 70% of the max free flow rate

note that centrifugals hav also a minimum, below which the impeller is, in aerodynamic terms, 'stalled'
but this minimum is seldom described by the pump mfgrs, and is totally ignored by WCers

this is the Hydor pump data (off the box, 50~ data):

hydor.jpg

the 60~ data for the different US version sold by CoolTechnica (w/o the minimums !) is:

Hydor%20pump%2060~%20data.jpg

the penalty for this pump misapplication is significantly increased pump heat

be cool

I have just realized something. If you replace your 300 GPH/6' Head pump with a 600 GPH/6' Head pump, the flow rate through your system will be exactly the same. All you've succeeded in doing was adding more heat to the system.

Centrifugal pumps move water by producing pressure. That pressure is described as the height of a column of water known as "Head". A taller head means more pressure.

You need pressure to push water through a watercooling loop in order to overcome the resistance of the loop. The speed of the water is determined by the pressure of the water. This means that two pumps with equal Head ratings will move water at the same speed. The volume of water that a pump can deliver has no meaning at all in watercooling systems for PCs.

Therefore, what we actually want is a pump that moves a small amount of water at a very high head.

So forget those GPH ratings and concentrate on head ratings!

welcome to the party Graystar
but it may increase slightly with the larger pump if its deadhead pressure is greater, note 'may'

but, unfortunatly for us 'purists', this also about what works;
and what it costs

there are jillions of pumps made for aquarium users,
how many for WCers ?

be cool

Graystar, you may be interested in these curves from reading your last post... As BillA said, none made FOR WC'ers but these do a fine job if you are willing to pay the price or hunt ebay religiously.

iw_md_wmd_family_curve.gif

Boy, those iwaki's keep looking nice for impingement every time I see those data sheets.

Graystar said:
I have just realized something. If you replace your 300 GPH/6' Head pump with a 600 GPH/6' Head pump, the flow rate through your system will be exactly the same.

Adding to what Bill said...

You need to look at the actual pump curve. Some pumps have PQ curves much different than the nice 'fat' curves of the Iwakis.

nikhsub1 said:

Like I said, HUNT ebay, I got my MD-15R for $70 and it was brand new.

Found a 6N, no 6Z....damn! Close, but no cigar.

Guess I'll have to setup one of the automatic emails.

Thing is though that these are still centrifugal pumps. Would be nice to find a real PD pump that's really small.

Graystar said:

Found a 6N, no 6Z....damn! Close, but no cigar.

Guess I'll have to setup one of the automatic emails.

Thing is though that these are still centrifugal pumps. Would be nice to find a real PD pump that's really small.
Yes they are centrifugal... but they are one of the best (if not the best) for our use, provided you get the right model for the job. They are almost silent, and put almost no heat into the water even though the casing gets very hot. I had a 20RL, too big to fit in the case in a reasonable fashion so I sold it and opted for the 15R instead, about the same size as a 1250.

Back