• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The PCI Divider Issue - 8K7A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wild_andy_c

NAKED Overclockers Unite! Senior
This was something I couldn't believe. People will have noticed the 184Mhz thing in my signature for the last 3 weeks. The EPoX BETA Bios for the 8K7A came out way before that.

It had to be blatantly obvious that I had either got a cast iron hard drive or a 1/5 PCI divider - why did no-one catch up on that point until now ?

Anyway - yes, the EPoX 8K7A when used with the 250Mhz FSB enabled BIOS will do dividers of 1/5 FSB and 1/6 FSB for PCI speed buses.

Folks with 8K7A+ boards must remember that flashing with this BIOS will disable their Highpoint controllers !!

Does this make it the best overclocking board ever made ?

wild_andy_c, are the 1/5 and 1/6 divisors adjustable in the BIOS on the 250 Mhz beta BIOS? If not, are there known FSB thresholds that 1/5 and then later 1/6 kicks in?

And to answer your question, its not totally unheard of for some people to run their PCI & AGP really high. They just use a tolerant AGP card like the GeForce and use a slower hard drive ATA mode in the BIOS. Although I will admit at 184 Mhz with a 1/4 divisor those buses were getting quite fast.

The 8k7a+ bios came out this morning or yesterday...1711 I think....goto amdmb.com for it...works great so far. (with 1/5 divider. The 1/5 kicks in at above 166 auto I believe.)

Mark

wild_andy_c (Jul 12, 2001 03:28 p.m.):

Does this make it the best overclocking board ever made ?

Its always been the best board.

You got your board up to 204! Thats crazy I always thought the the amd761 chip was crappy at achieving super high fsb.

I have got too get some of this pc2700 ram, where did you get it and when is it avaible to us?

What would PC2700 be equal to in Mhz? Isn't there a formula to calculate that?

Len (Jul 12, 2001 04:19 p.m.):
wild_andy_c, are the 1/5 and 1/6 divisors adjustable in the BIOS on the 250 Mhz beta BIOS? If not, are there known FSB thresholds that 1/5 and then later 1/6 kicks in?

And to answer your question, its not totally unheard of for some people to run their PCI & AGP really high. They just use a tolerant AGP card like the GeForce and use a slower hard drive ATA mode in the BIOS. Although I will admit at 184 Mhz with a 1/4 divisor those buses were getting quite fast.

Thre BETA BIOS that has done the rounds in the reviews to give the reviewers morte to play with is the same BIOS that is currently on the http://epox.com.tw site.

The thresholds for divisor increase form 1/4 to 1/5 and from 1/5 to 1/6 are when the PCI bus speed reaches and exceeds 41.5Mhz . i.e 167Mhz and 208Mhz.

Now being a simple Intel guy I am assuming that your memory bandwidth is getting way up there by this high FSB. Yes/no???

Froggy (Jul 13, 2001 12:29 a.m.):
Now being a simple Intel guy I am assuming that your memory bandwidth is getting way up there by this high FSB. Yes/no???

Being a P3 guy - you don't have any memory bandwidth!!!!

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

Froggy (Jul 13, 2001 12:29 a.m.):

P3 with DDR can't keep up with AMD's 750 Irongate chipset !!

I flashed the official 1711 BIOS and things aren't working that great for me. With memory timings set to 'AUTO' and voltage at 2.8v (+0.3v) my Crucial PC2100 isn't even stable at 168 Mhz with the CPU at only 1344 Mhz. I don't get it. I tried 2.9v but Windows boots up in VGA and I can't change resolutions. Wierd. I guess the DDR just doesn't like 2.9v. If I drop back to 149 Mhz FSB all is fine again. I've got a single 256MB module of Crucial PC2100.

Do you think my DDR just can't reach 168 Mhz? Any suggestions of BIOS settings I can change? I chose 'auto' for the memory timings because I really don't know much about the individual values. At 149 Mhz I run at 8-8-6-2-2-2-2.

You're running CAS2 timings at 149Mhz, which is good going for Crucial. You need some better memory perhaps. In the general market place, thermaltake DDR is quite good. RAMsinks and AS adhesive are a good idea also

Back