• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stoopid Hot water! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kchip

So I finally got a real PSU for my 226 pelt. I am also using an 80w pelt on my GF4. My pump is a Viaqua 370. I also live in Fl.

I have 2 heatercores side by side with a shroad the connects them , I have 1 120mm Becooling fan blowing in , 2 80mm fans on the other end sucking out. I don't have web hosting for pics , but I have jpegs of my cooling circuit if anyone can suggest a change.

I am also fully aware of the 8K3a temp bug with the Tbred , but using MBM5 I can read the socket thermister. When the water is cool , I get temps of 15 C @ 2v. One hour later when Water is Hot , I get temps of 45-48 C loaded. The Heatercores get HOT to the touch.

Would anyone suggest unhooking my 2 heatercores and run them with seperate 120s and shroads. I thought I was being very clever...but maybe their is a better solution.

Heres how my setup runs now:

Gallon res ----> ViaQua 370 Pump --->Heatercore1--->heatercore2----> GF4 80w pelt--->1700Tbred---> Gallon res.

Not enough data on your fans or rads to know what the situation is.

When you say the rads are "side by side", does that mean that there are two paths for the air, (through rad A and through rad B) or one path? (through rads A and B)

How big are the rads?

Who is the manufacturer of the fans and what are the model numbers.

Effective fan selection is dependent on knowing this stuff.

CFM numbers for fans are nearly as useless as max flowrates for pumps. The full fan PQ curve is necessary to predict performance.

sounds like 1 120 for both of them. they each need their own pair of 120s. that should help.

Chevette heatercores. They are big. 10X6X2 approx.

The airflow is one way through both , Im gonna spit them up tomm and reconfig the whole thing.

I can make it through 3DM01 @ 2400 mhz , but only when the water is cool.

Sounds like you're blowing the hot air from the first hc directly into the second. Not a good idea, separate them. I don't know how your flow goes to the rads but at least make sure the water from the pump goes to the rad that is blown on from the first rad . In other words you want the fresh air rad to feed the blocks. Otherwise you are just reheating the water. The best idea would be to have fresh air going into both, but then space becomes an issue. The most effective would be to run them in parallel, fresh air to both. That way the water flow slows down, to half speed theoretically, in the rads and has more time to cool.

Like the above said, you're reheating the water with hot air expelled from the first radiator. Your temps would probably go down using only one radiator compared to this. But, if you separate them, put shrouds on both and put 2 120mm fans on both, your temps will most likely be much improved. If you have an air conditioning vent, that would be the best place to put them, assuming, of course, that condensation would not occur.

Z

wait the rads are side by side not one in front of the other.

to me it sounds like many things are at a miss. It could be not enough airflow and/or waterflow.

suggestion

have 4 120mm fans total.

more important.....

LARGER Pump..... The aqua ria is underpowered for you system. Two rads and two blocks = much restriction. Pelts also require more flow than CPU require. CPU = 100Watt, TEC 186W (undervoltes) + 100w + 250w +. OF cousre this data is relitive and not true, just examples.

bottem line, you need a more powerful pump.

my assumtion was made without all known data.

good luck. try 4 some pics, i never seen a dual pelt system.

the via aqua is just fine. ive seen dual pelt rigs with a swifty h202b kit with a eheim 1048 that has 158 GPH, and it runs real good

Firstly, I'd suggest (as stoopid as it may sound) to make darned sure your fans are all pointed the right direction (I know, no-brainer, eh?).
If so, I'd try taking one heatercore out of the loop, and puting all the fans/shrouds onto one heatercore. As in a waterblock, the water needs to speed through it to make effective heat transfer. If having your HC's in series like that adds too much restriction in your loop, then it can't perform up to par.
Also, with twin HC's, I'll guess that they are not in your case...are they getting fresh air, or recirculated air from behind an obstruction?

A couple of ideas...

he has a really reall yreally good point. (diggr that is). if ur only using a via aqua 1300 and 2 heater cores. that is a lot of head for one little aquarium pump. u may try doing what he said or even try to have the heater core lay horozzontally instead of sitting verticly. if that is the situtation. and like stated above dont have them blow through each other this will actually warm the 2nd core that had cooler water in it due to the first cores work...

You must definetly put the waterpath for the heatercores in parallell. You'll get cooler temps and lower headloss.

Good luck!!

heatercores have extremely low restriction, and many kits pump theorugh very large and restrictive radiators with pumps doing 20GPH and still seem to work OK. a via aqua 370 should be fine with two heatercorres. make sure that all of the tubes are gently curved and not kniked. make sure that there are NO air bubbles whatsoever. make sure that there is good, unobsturcted airflow going through bother heatercores. if all of theos thing are done, the system should cool extremely well.

Well..

I have reconfigured the whole thing. huge difference already.

I still need 2 more fans shroads , but I am pointed in the right direction now.

THX ALL

Cool :D When you have a chance, can you tell us exactly what you did, and get some pix???

I agree.

It's one thing to offer help without seeing the system, but it helps us help others when you post back what worked and what didn't.

Real glad things are getting better for ya.

And Warlord2,
[yosemite sam voice] The stars are mine, mine, all mine! Muahahaha! [/yosemite sam voice]

Back