• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive not being detected... Uh oh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Causality

All of the sudden my second hard drive is not showing up in the bios or windows!

I have tried moving to other cables (that the cd and dvd drives are on) with no luck... My only other option is to try it in another computer. Could I have fried my HD with static or a bump when I had the computer open?

You could've just fried the controller boad.

If it's a platter problem, you would've heard lots of scratching and grinding before it died... either that or it just wouldn't spin up.

Ack, and it was my backup drive too. :( Lots of old digital camera pictures and stuff I don't want to lose. I would hate to have to contact drivesavers and spend hundreds...

Going to try it in another computer tomorrow...

DL the PowerMax software from their website, and run the diagnostic. Should recognize the drive, and may help you out.

Ok, I powermax could not find the drive. I also tried it on another computer which could not see it either. It does not react at all (no spin up) so I guess it is dead.

Maxtor still has it under warranty, but I still would like to haev the data back. Anyone ever used a data recovery service and how much do they charge?

Maybe the jumper pin fell off while you were working on your machine, or it's on the wrong jumper setting? Also, I don't know if this would work, but how about changing the jumper setting on it? If you have it as a Master, trying it as a Slave? I don't know, but another setting might get it recognized.

You may want to search the net for data recovery programs first, I've never had to use one so I cannot recommend one, however, try searching downloads.com and make sure to look for reviews on it. It'd be cheaper than actually going somewhere for it.

Maybe the jumper pin fell off while you were working on your machine, or it's on the wrong jumper setting? Also, I don't know if this would work, but how about changing the jumper setting on it? If you have it as a Master, trying it as a Slave? I don't know, but another setting might get it recognized.

You may want to search the net for data recovery programs first, I've never had to use one so I cannot recommend one, however, try searching downloads.com and make sure to look for reviews on it. It'd be cheaper than actually going somewhere for it.

It won't spin up.

Your suggestions are null.

Causality, unless you really need that data, just eat the loss and use a burner next time. I believe most data recovery services charge per MB.

The reason I needed the data was because this drive was a backup of info that I could no longer access on my main drive after switching mobos.

However... Just now, with the help of a board member, I was able to gain access to all my files and thus it looks like I have found what the drive was originally backing up. *phew*

The drive is under warranty and it looks like it will be going back to maxtor. Luckily I seem to have found all the data that I had copied to the backup. *whips out the CD-Rs*

ThePerfectCore said:

It won't spin up.

Your suggestions are null.

Causality, unless you really need that data, just eat the loss and use a burner next time. I believe most data recovery services charge per MB.

Back