• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few watercooling questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkmonkey

Well, d***ed dirty fedex lost my maze3. They are going to call me tues or weds about it.

In the meantime I'm thinking of how to install everything and I have a few questions.

Specs of the w/c system:
Maze3
Black Ice rad
Eheim 1250
1/2" tubing
possibly a small res made of pvc

Questions:
1. I was thinking of making the system external so I'm not forced to do any huge mods to my puter. I saw this article: http://overclockers.com/tips1067/ which looked very appealing. The only prob I could see possibly happining is the height from the bow to the computer. Would a height of a few feet restrict flow very much?

2. 1 capful of water wetter for inline/small res right? I'm using distilled water also. Do I need anything else for the water?

3. I need a cheap thermometer for my water. Any suggestions?

4. I probably wont do this but would sanding the inside of the water block with very low grit paper be benifitial? I was thinking it would increase surface area and turbulence.

5. How do I know when I've clamped the block down enough?

6. last, any tips or tricks you all think would be helpful for me?

Last edited:
1. yes, the height will restric flow. You should try to put the external box as close to the same level
2. 1 or 2 capfulls should be fine. my bottle of WW has handy gradations so you know how much an ounce is. On the WW bottle, they suggest 3-4 caps per quart of water.
3. go to an aquarium shop. you'll find a plethora.
4. Don't worry about that. A maze 3 is already sandblasted on the insides.
5. ask for the spring constant of the springs, then follow my mounting instructions here.

6. Make sure you leak test thoroughly. I know you're in a hurry to get it set up and running, but an ounce of prevention = $$$ in the bank. (not the old saying, but more appropriate here.)

NeoMoses said:
1. yes, the height will restric flow. You should try to put the external box as close to the same level
2. 1 or 2 capfulls should be fine. my bottle of WW has handy gradations so you know how much an ounce is. On the WW bottle, they suggest 3-4 caps per quart of water.
3. go to an aquarium shop. you'll find a plethora.
4. Don't worry about that. A maze 3 is already sandblasted on the insides.
5. ask for the spring constant of the springs, then follow my mounting instructions here.

6. Make sure you leak test thoroughly. I know you're in a hurry to get it set up and running, but an ounce of prevention = $$$ in the bank. (not the old saying, but more appropriate here.)

Thanks a lot neomoses, that guide on clamping pressure is great! Very nice job. I think tat is all the info i need to start off strait. I'm going to leak test for 24 hours, I heard putting it all in a plastic trash bag was a good idea so the water can't evaporate and evade my eye so easily.

Oh, just thought of 1 more thing:
I've posted a thread about this b4 but have been getting mixed answers. Will a high vcore(like 2.0-2.15) shorten the life of my CPU if I keep it nice and cool, like under 45C?

Edit:
I'd like to give the DangerDen people a big hug! lol. I called them up and they shipped me another block by 2-Day air. Go DangerDen! I wish I could post something about them on reseller ratings but I'm not >18 :(.

Realgun said:
Have not seen my W/C solution?
This might work for you
yep, I saw that earlier. My immediate solution till all this stuff is setup is gonna be all the w/c stuff in a big tupperware type box. After that I'm either gonna get the guts to drill even more holes in my case or get some type of nice looking metal or plastic box that will be able to stand the weight of my monitor or latch onto the sid of my comp for LAN parties.

Back