• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many of you use AA and AF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fiz

I am wondering how many of you guys/gals use the AA and AF options on your video cards. I tend to see alot of people who don't use these features and it got me thinking.... Why do you shell out 150+ bucks on these cards and then not use these features??? I use AA@4X and AF@8X usually @ 1280X1024, I could never go back. Now, I am asking if you use this on a card taht can handle it (you know what those things do to some cards), My old GF4 MX 440 would start to kind of choke with AA on, but the AF was good to go. So, if you do, drop a line and say why, if you don't, drop a line and say why. :)

Fiz

what kinda card are you using now ?

I dont use either, because my gfx card is to slow "same goes for my system"

but once i get a good gfx card/system ill use everything as long as my fps are always above 60fps

i set my graphic card settings at 2xAA. :D I don't see the difference between any higher AA and 2x..
my ti200 has some quincunx 4xAA? except I lag with it, lol.

I play No One Lives Forever 2, at 1024x768x32, 2xAA.
as for the anisotropic filter, mine only goes up to 8x. But I leave it off and just turn it on in games (if the option is available), if I want to.

agreed, i alway use it and will not go back. but as far as the settings go, i sometimes have to make adjustments between games. i.e. playing splinter cell, i cant have AA over 2x cuz it starts to lag, but I keep AF at 4x or above.
older games i can play AA at 4x without a hickup.

but yea, i see exactly where you are coming from, people buys this kickazz rigs and they dont make use of it. they overclock and overclock, and then when the time come to make use of the juice, they dont. but then again, depends on the person. I guess some people can tell the difference between 150 to 100 to etc fps. I cant, and i love they eye candy!

I always use 8x AF, and sometimes 2x AA (any higher looks blurry to me on this monitor).

acesea said:
but yea, i see exactly where you are coming from, people buys this kickazz rigs and they dont make use of it. they overclock and overclock, and then when the time come to make use of the juice, they dont. but then again, depends on the person. I guess some people can tell the difference between 150 to 100 to etc fps. I cant, and i love they eye candy!

Exactly, I can't really notice a difference at anthing beyond about 85 fps, if it goes higher than that, I couldn't tell ya without a fps monitor on it. Well, I guess on a timedemo you can see it as well(looks really funny watching Q3 at 200 fps). To me, image quality will always be #1 rather than insane frame rates. I usually shut off a filter if my fps is below 30.

Fiz

at times i use the quincinox (or what ever it is called) AA but i can't afford to use AF, although i would love to play games at 1600x1200 with AA and AF ... maybe in coming future :)

I try to use AA and the other options i can,but my video card is a Geforce 2MX 100/200 thats slighty overclocked(like it really makes a difference on a card this slow lol!).I can run most to all games at 800x600x16 and do fine usually.If i notice the game is running smoothly then i slowly start to crank up the settings till the game starts to studder then back it off just a tad.

i use 16x AF
i would really like to use AA as well, but thinks my SDRam is pulling back performance very much
in splinter cell with 4xAA, if sam's alone, its ok
but with 2+ ppl (minus Sam) things start slowing down, and with NVG on..........one word.....slow....prolly 9fps as compared to 20 when sam's alone and 30 w/o AA

I use AA and AF when playing warcraft 3. God knows how I played it without them :D It looks a lot nicer with them enabled.

Always use A.F. at highest settings (Radeon8500):)

I use 3x Perf FSAA in about every game, sometimes knock it down to 2x perf. FSAA if game is very demanding....

I literally will *not* play a game without these features. It just looks too crappy without them, as it will suck the fun right out of it....

Once you get used to them, there is *no* going back...This coming from someone who once asked the *exact* same question as Fiz:)

i usually use 2XAA and 2 or 4 AF, all games except bf1942. if i play single player, its ok with them on, highest resolution, but i usually play multiplayer, and i run a 28 person server while i play, so it gets a little jerky. not to bad, but every 30secs or so it will studder just a bit.

actually what is the different in higher rating eg 2X AA and 4x AA

I am not using any AA or AF but soon will testing it out :)

Back