• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow, this could be a very good thing for us

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dont know about you but im disappointed by the r350, even the "crappy" GF-FX can beat it in quite a few benchmarks

PLtNmHeLiX said:
Wohoo, more companies competing means we win

exactly... more competition the lower the prices go and the larger the selection... that could be fantastic... i wonder how their cards will run and what the image quality will be like... i hope they're pretty decent to run up with ati and nvidia...

R350 was only a revision of the R300 so what did you expect it to do?

Nvidia seems to be plagued by pretty much everything now, performance, image quality, price...it will be interesting to see how other companies work their way into the mainstream and what they will offer.

There was an old article about this and they said it would out-perform the FX and cost around $100.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Genocide said:
i dont know about you but im disappointed by the r350, even the "crappy" GF-FX can beat it in quite a few benchmarks

Its quite the other way around in most of the benchmarks ive seen (except the one that was totaly off base that had about 80fps missing from the benchmarks for the ATi cards, heh)

The 9700 line was just so great, it will take alot to wow us. I for one can't wait to see this s3 card. Looks like it should be good. My bet is it winds up being a little slower than ati's cards, alot cheaper and has a few minor driver issues on release that take a couple months to get sorted out.

Lithan said:
The 9700 line was just so great, it will take alot to wow us. I for one can't wait to see this s3 card. Looks like it should be good. My bet is it winds up being a little slower than ati's cards, alot cheaper and has a few minor driver issues on release that take a couple months to get sorted out.
agreed 100%

looks very interesting. depending on how it does this may be my next card due to potential pricing compared to nvidia and ati gouging.

CrystalMethod said:

Comments like those are unecessary.

exactly, and have nothing to do with this thread :mad:

Anyways, i really think it would be a good thing for the industry if there were 3 comp's making CPU's and GPU's...it's pretty logical, what are the two most expensive components in most systems (most...)

depending on how up to date you like to get, i could spend over a grand on just those two items...thats crazy.

I can buy 512mb of PC2700 ram for 50 bux, why? in part because there are dozens of comp's out there making it.

I can buy a CD rom for 15 bux!!...thats nuts if you think about it (and it really goes to show you how much money companies make off of more advanced components...DVD burners and such)

CrystalMethod said:

Comments like those are unecessary.

That first comment doesn't seem like anything bad. If anything, it's true! Missing a cycle totally threw them off, and the products they're FINALLY getting out the door are lacking. They are playing catch up...they HAVE TO!

EDIT: Oh wait, it was kind of off-topic...I think I get it now :D

There was an old article about this and they said it would out-perform the FX and cost around $100.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes, I remember that article too. Also, if you remember, there was an article on Tomshardware quite some time ago that said that S3 was going to be releasing a card that would beat the ti4600 (this was when the ti4600 was the top card) but it never happened. Like you, I will also believe this when I see it.

Heh, I am still waiting to see that card that they claimed would beat the ti4600. If there really is a card like that, maybe this is actually it. It could be because it said on the Tomshardware article that the card would be built on 0.13 micron technology so it fits...

Just dont get your Hopes Up, as SIS was also supposted to have a killer card with the Xaber.
And look how well PowerVR did with the kyro.

my best guess it that they will be nice mid-low end cards....
Personally i am waiting for another BitBoys Card, they make the best ones :D

jay said:
Just dont get your Hopes Up, as SIS was also supposted to have a killer card with the Xaber.
And look how well PowerVR did with the kyro.

my best guess it that they will be nice mid-low end cards....
Personally i am waiting for another BitBoys Card, they make the best ones :D

I kind of agree, how often does a company just LAUNCH into the lead. Nothing to the best...just doesnt happen.

ATI and Nvidia have been neck and neck for a while now, so it's really not all that shocking to see the hands change...but, we can all hope right

Competition is always great. Lets wait to see some benchmarks of these puppy's and see if they can measure up.

Back