• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a Tower Case Really Yield Lower Temps Over a Mid-Tower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazz

It would seem to make sense that if you have a case with a LOT of room in it, temps should be lower than one that's smaller and a bit more crowded (not counting the effect from fans, that is). But as I've never had a chance to compare, I'm wondering if it would be enough to matter.

I was considering the Lian Li PC-61 (a midtower), but have lately been looking at the PC-62 (an extended case, usually meant for dual processor boards)...and also have considered the PC-71 (a full tower case).

There are other reasons that I would be considering a larger case, but I am curious to know if I could expect lower case temps as an added benefit. If so, does anyone know if it would be that much of a difference?

Thanks,

-Taz

The temps are lower in a full size case, just as you say. I have a Lian 6 and 8 (mid size) and a few chenming/chieftech full size ones, and the full size cases with same config environment are up to 8° C cooler.
Other resons for the bigger case: hiding cables and stuff is easier; easier to change stuff as you got less things in your way, more room for more stuff, even though I strongly believe that 'less is more' ;) ; more room for case mods if you're into it.

A.

Thanks for the report, Ange. Eight degrees is much more than I expected. Of course I realize it all depends on what you put into it...still, eight degrees is significant.

The only downside I can see to something like the Lian Li PC-71, is it doesn't have a removable motherboard tray. I'm not the experienced system builder that most folks here seem to be, so it does make me wonder. Then again, I know the PC-71 has a LOT of room. I'm sure I could figure it out.

Thanks again for the reply.

-Taz

i think it all depends on how you set up your fans... its proably easier to get a lower case temp but i dont think that is always the case- if you did it right you could have a lower temp with a mid tower too:D
and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Another benefit of having a larger case is that the individual components that generate heat (drives, CPU, PS) are all further apart from eachother, thus the heat they produce doesn't have as much of an effect on the surrounding components. (i.e. you're hot HD is not as close to your hot CPU)

Back