Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow dont throw away those stock hsf's just yet!

ok on my dad's stock heat sink fan for his 1900+ i used to get 56c full load temps! but i decided to do something about it cus it was so hot it wasnt even stable at stock speeds!, i just took out the hsf and lapped it for like 5 minutes with 600 grit paper and popped it back in and now after a weak of letting the as3 settle its down to a full load of 38c! granted this isnt overclocked but an 18 degree drop is pretty damn good!

Thats cool, I think im gonna lap my stock alumin and stick it on my NB.

10 Year Badge
    perhaps it also wasn't seated correctly the first time.

Desktop: AMD Phenom 9550 @ 2.6Ghz @ 1.25v
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 4 X 1GB
    G.Skill Phoenix 60GB SSD
    | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB | Radeon HD 3650 512MB | Dual 19" LCD's

Heatware

I'm thinking the same thing JDXNC. If you want it work even better try wet sanding with 800 then 1500 then 2000 till its a mirror finish. Now we're talking lappin!

naw i seated it several times and with as3 over the white thermal paste it only dropped a couple degrees(before i lapped it)

Wow that puppy must not have been very flat.
    LILI: P4 2.8C@3.4Ghz (243x14 1.575v) | Zalman CNPS7000-Cu | Abit IS7-E | 2x512Mb Corsair XMS PC3200 | Sapphire Radeon Atlantis 9700 Pro | Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB HD | Antec True430 | Lian-Li PC-65b

Registered
    Did you put as3 while there was still thermal paste left over on the heatsink/cpu?

if you were using thermal paste before it was lapped, switched to as3, checked temps, then lapped, it mau have been that the original thermal paste was in the mocroscopic valleys, hindering heat transfer, but when it was lapped, you knocked out most of the mocroscopic valleys and were left w/ 98% as3 instead of 60% as3 and 40% cheapo heat paste

Given the 18c temperature drop, I think it was the combination of the old thermal paste and the rough surface which was improved on, that made the difference.

Moderator #666
    10 Year Badge
    Good job !
    To Honor Those who went before their time.
    God Bless them all
    Fight the Fight worth Fighting
    FOLD for Team 32
    IS THERE A CURE AMONG US?

Black Belt Overclocker MyHeatware under WarriorII

nerdlogic
    Originally posted by CSaddict
    I'm thinking the same thing JDXNC. If you want it work even better try wet sanding with 800 then 1500 then 2000 till its a mirror finish. Now we're talking lappin!
    I don't think there's much of a difference once you go past 800 grit.

Soy

Originally posted by nerdlogic

I don't think there's much of a difference once you go past 800 grit.

Soy
    I think this site did a test and found that there was no distingishable difference going over 600 grit.
    Hail to the King:
    Opteron 165 w/ DFI Ultra-D w/ BBA 1900XT 512 mb GSkill PC4200 1 GB x 2
    74 gb WD Raptor x 2 Raid 0 MSI (ATI550) Tuner
    w/ Windows XP Media Center Edition & OCZ Powerstream 520
    DD TDX H2O block w/ Maze4 GPA block DD D4 pump
    single 120mm Fan Heater core w/ shroud In Lian-Li fish tank window case

RIP (Rest In Pieces):
    P4 3.0 ghz @ 3.75 ghz Aerocool HT-101 IC7-G
    Radeon 9800 Pro 430 W Antec True Power

Modding is good.

I've tried lapping the stock hsf, it didnt make much difference on the temps.

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me... rogerdugans's Avatar
    Stock heatsinks are nowhere near as good as the "aftermarket" ones available- but they CAN do a creditable job.

I have resorted to them many times, and even done some decent overclocking using them

Lapping is required and so is a decent fan though, if you want to get good temps.
    Still overclocked and running linux on watercooled computers after all these years.

Stock heatsinks are nice after a lap job if you like it nice and quiet!
    Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

What heatsink is that? It looks funky.

Hehe. I'm using my old cheepy 60mm copper cooler (Can't remember what it's called, but the point is it is only slightly better than a stock cooler). I was getting 53*C load temps with cover off (it's a frankenputer at the moment). So I put a box beside the case and put a 120mm fan on the box blowing right onto the heatsink's intake (fan blows onto the fins) about 6-8" away. Temps dropped 12*C (ondie). Heh. That case will be getting a sidemounted fan in it asap.

errr , after seeing this thread .. .i had a question

Can i use my stock HSF for the northbridge or other part of my pc ?

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Originally posted by s[H]sIkuA
    errr , after seeing this thread .. .i had a question

Can i use my stock HSF for the northbridge or other part of my pc ?
    You certainly can.
    I hacksawed some fins off of each side of mine, lapped it (with 600 grit) and Arctic Alumina epoxied it to the 6 power mosfets on my board. Works much cooler now.
    Since my northbridge is watercooled, I used the little stock fan to sit on the heatsink, and it's a little above room temp now.

I used it once on my northbridge of another motherboard, and it worked okay there too, but performance was hindered a tad becase of the round recessed area in the middle of Abit's northbridge. I got around that by just adding a round copper piece I cut to fit the recess (from copper roof flashing that I had).
    That piece of copper kept me from trying to hand lap the northy, or having a really thick layer of thermal goop (like Abit does).
    I just drilled and tapped holes from the bottom side of the heatsink, using the old heatsink as the template. The copper shim needs to be really flat, and deburred.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast