• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dont throw away those stock hsf's just yet!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R.Rabbit

ok on my dad's stock heat sink fan for his 1900+ i used to get 56c full load temps!:mad: but i decided to do something about it cus it was so hot it wasnt even stable at stock speeds!, i just took out the hsf and lapped it for like 5 minutes with 600 grit paper and popped it back in and now after a weak of letting the as3 settle its down to a full load of 38c! granted this isnt overclocked but an 18 degree drop is pretty damn good!

I'm thinking the same thing JDXNC. If you want it work even better try wet sanding with 800 then 1500 then 2000 till its a mirror finish.:eek: Now we're talking lappin!

naw i seated it several times and with as3 over the white thermal paste it only dropped a couple degrees(before i lapped it)

if you were using thermal paste before it was lapped, switched to as3, checked temps, then lapped, it mau have been that the original thermal paste was in the mocroscopic valleys, hindering heat transfer, but when it was lapped, you knocked out most of the mocroscopic valleys and were left w/ 98% as3 instead of 60% as3 and 40% cheapo heat paste

Given the 18c temperature drop, I think it was the combination of the old thermal paste and the rough surface which was improved on, that made the difference.

CSaddict said:
I'm thinking the same thing JDXNC. If you want it work even better try wet sanding with 800 then 1500 then 2000 till its a mirror finish.:eek: Now we're talking lappin!

I don't think there's much of a difference once you go past 800 grit.

Soy

Modding is good. :D

IMG_0048.JPG

Stock heatsinks are nowhere near as good as the "aftermarket" ones available- but they CAN do a creditable job.

I have resorted to them many times, and even done some decent overclocking using them;)

Lapping is required and so is a decent fan though, if you want to get good temps.

Hehe. I'm using my old cheepy 60mm copper cooler (Can't remember what it's called, but the point is it is only slightly better than a stock cooler). I was getting 53*C load temps with cover off (it's a frankenputer at the moment). So I put a box beside the case and put a 120mm fan on the box blowing right onto the heatsink's intake (fan blows onto the fins) about 6-8" away. Temps dropped 12*C (ondie). Heh. That case will be getting a sidemounted fan in it asap.

errr , after seeing this thread .. .i had a question

Can i use my stock HSF for the northbridge or other part of my pc ?

s[H]sIkuA said:
errr , after seeing this thread .. .i had a question

Can i use my stock HSF for the northbridge or other part of my pc ?

You certainly can.
I hacksawed some fins off of each side of mine, lapped it (with 600 grit) and Arctic Alumina epoxied it to the 6 power mosfets on my board. Works much cooler now.
Since my northbridge is watercooled, I used the little stock fan to sit on the heatsink, and it's a little above room temp now.

I used it once on my northbridge of another motherboard, and it worked okay there too, but performance was hindered a tad becase of the round recessed area in the middle of Abit's northbridge. I got around that by just adding a round copper piece I cut to fit the recess (from copper roof flashing that I had).
That piece of copper kept me from trying to hand lap the northy, or having a really thick layer of thermal goop (like Abit does).
I just drilled and tapped holes from the bottom side of the heatsink, using the old heatsink as the template. The copper shim needs to be really flat, and deburred.

Back