• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another LCD Topic, Ihave a broken TI-83 calculator...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

I have a broken TI-83 calculator, the key pad is messed up and well the teacher who had said I could have it to mess with....

So would it be possible to use LCD off of it? it has the ribbion cable attached to it...

yeah i would think it would be possible. you should be able to get the pin outs from TI with no problem (they are an electronic component manufactuerer after all) Let us know what you find out.

Okay, I have another question...Do I wire the ribbion cable straight to a paralle port/ Serial port? (errr...better Idea get a blank PCB from the shack and solder...)

there should be a controller board attached to it somewhere. I would think that you could get the pinouts for THAT, and then wire the serial port to it.

hey -- i got pix of the calc for ya :)

hey im interested in doing the exact same thing as you -- i just dont know which one of those chips is the lcd controller

PANA0149.JPG

PANA0148.JPG

PANA0150.JPG

PANA0151.JPG

I am interested also

I have a working TI-86 and the serial port graph link cable, and I know you can screen capture the calculator onto your pc with the software, so I dont see why you cant send display data to it.

Ok, I know this an old thread, but I want to what they were trying to do. I do have a somewhat dead 83+ and would consider using the screen out of it if it were easy to wire for serial use. Otherwise I'll buy a parallel interface LCD as the 83+ isn't completely dead. If If I hit it a few times, it'll work. lol.

I just bought a new TI-83+, you couldnt pry the thing out of my hands to use it as an lcd. i know this is kind of off topic, but it fits in w/ graphing calcs. will the TI-83+ be good enough for me to use for all of high school?

Should be. My friend who's in AP calculus is using a silver edition. I have a TI-83+ "Platinum Edition" was a "Gold Edition" and a Silver edition

The first TI-83+ has been modded and spray painted several times. That's why I made up the different edition's for it.

Here's a pic:
IM003364.JPG

IM003365.JPG

There's a pic with the platinum edition working.

its amazing that the ti-83+ is 6000x more powerful than the first computers. i think eniac ran @ 1000hz. imagine how long a seti wu would take @ 1000hz :eek:

We've completed the first ever SETI WU in a lightning fast 20.6 years! We only used 600 MegaWatt's of doing it too!

If you want to think fast, my friend just got a Dell Axiam which is approx. the size of the 83+. It runs at 400mhz! My old Jornada ran at 133mhz and that's 4 years old. Wow, it's scary how fast technology advances.

According to my calculations (which i double checked, but feel free to check them yourself) it would take 684 years to complete 1 wu @ 1000hz:eek::eek::eek:. This is based of my average of 1 wu from my 2ghz processor in about 3 hours.
To figure out how many cycles in one WU
3*60*60=10800
10800*2000000000=21600000000000

To figure out how many seconds in a year
365*24*60*60=31536000

How many seconds in one wu @ 1000hz
21600000000000/1000=21600000000

Covert to years
21600000000/31536000

that is just mind boggling.

I think it will be all black, as though the contrats was turned all the way up, but don't take my word for as I'm not sure about that answer.

This would be really great to figure out, as I have two non-functioning TI-83s that were given to me...oh the possibilities...:D

Craneage, you know you can backlight those screens with some plexi and LED's, right?

BTW, If my parents let me, I'm going to install blue LED's in my silver edition.

Back