• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I tell if its my northbridge keeping me back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EclipseJP

I have the XMS 3000 memory and running at 2.90 volts on the 8rda at 185 fsb which its rated at. My northbridge voltage is only at 1.58 volts and i havent done the mod yet. But I do have the vantec cooler on the NB, and that doesnt get really all that warm at all. Is my nb no good at 185 or is it just my memory?

You may have an A2 chipset. Most of these dont allow over 185fsb for some reason. My A3 ran 199fsb rock stable with stock 1.58 VDD.

After my VDD mod, I am rock solid @ 215fsb 1.87V VDD

There is one way to find out if your memory is holding you back or if It's the motherboard (NB,VDD) holding you back.

Try running the ram outta sync I ran my fsb @ 103 and ram @ 200% which gave me 206x 2 for my ram I was able to pass prime and 3dmark no problems.

What do you have your timing set to I heard 3 3 2 2 is the best setting but I run 5 2 2 2 myself? Make sure you have your ram in dimm slot 2 NOT 1.

2.5g is too high on that chip.

Try booting into windows with these settings first

12 X 196 2352mhz
6-3-3-2 memory (to start)

CPU Vcore 1.80
Memory 2.77
AGP 1.7

CPU interface =aggressive
memory= expert

Well first thing is first.

Your ram may not do 196. In order to see what your ram will do I would advice to set the mulitplier to about 10 and see what you can get stable. After finding your max fsb I would start upping the muiltiplier .5 @ a time untill temps get to high or you fill that you system if 100% safe and I do think you can get 2.5 on water.

Actually, a lot of 2100+s have no qualms about running at 2.5GHz.

Still, try to run @ 1.8v and around stock CPU speed, with the RAM asynch to isolate the problem. And sometimes the chipset will run at a higher FSB with a lower total CPU speed.

IOW: Toss the XMS3000, get twinmos PC3700 and vdd mod your board to 1.85v (860 ohm resistor)

cV trust me I would love to toss the 3000. I just dont really have the money to get anything new at this time. Im going to try all of this stuff you guys told me hopefully today when I get home. I just have so much homework and girlfriend doesnt help with the time either. Maybe I can sell some old pc parts for stuff. :)

Back