• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temperatures. IDLE/LOAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What are your CPU LOAD/IDLE Temperatures?

• LOAD: 61C or Above

Votes: 275 7.8%
  • LOAD: 51 - 60C

Votes: 901 25.5%
  • LOAD: 41 - 50C

Votes: 1,382 39.1%
  • LOAD: 31 - 40C

Votes: 675 19.1%
  • LOAD: 30C or Below

Votes: 101 2.9%
  • IDLE: 51C or Above

Votes: 169 4.8%
  • IDLE: 41 - 50C

Votes: 865 24.4%
  • IDLE: 31 - 40C

Votes: 1,432 40.5%
  • IDLE: 21 - 30C

Votes: 601 17.0%
  • IDLE: 20 or Below

Votes: 100 2.8%

• Total voters
i'd think that's the PSU....

my gosh, you're running high temps
3.bmp

oops, I scr*wed the pooch on this one. Only hit the load temps. :rolleyes: Idle temps are usually around 21-30°C, if someone can edit my vote and add that so as not to mess up the chart.

filip04 said:
i'd think that's the PSU....

I never knew the psu has a thermistor in it and never knew the psu is able to send temp readings to the mobo either. Does anyone else have this temp label to verify this?

Alrighty. finally figured out the degree sign. You *have* to do the 0176 in the numerical key pad *with* the Number Lock on. Then it works. I'm sure that all this waas very clear to everyone but me from the beginning, but I am usually real slow when I'm not being really dense.

My computer is currently 71C load. This should be going down in the near future, as I'll be replacing the stock AMD heatsink with an SLK-800U on Tuesday.

If it's not too hard, could you add ambient (room) temperature to the poll please? It helps people like me who worry about how many degrees C above ambient their CPU is. Thanks!

O

Maximus Nickus said:
For this Poll to work I have allowed users to make Multiple Choices.
Please vote ONCE for LOAD and ONCE for IDLE temperatures, to achieve this simply select two options at once else you will not be able to re-vote.
If you also wish to post your Overclock in Mhz then please do.

This Poll is here for your benefit, DO NOT ABUSE IT!
Else it will be permanently removed.

Credit goes to ZHU for the idea.
M_N

Last edited:
Re: Re: CPU Temperatures. IDLE/LOAD

Owenator said:
If it's not too hard, could you add ambient (room) temperature to the poll please? It helps people like me who worry about how many degrees C above ambient their CPU is. Thanks!

O

I can't, maximum of ten options are available.
I may create a seperate post for Ambient Room temperatures but I don't see much point at this moment in time.

Post them here if you wish.

M_N

Stats and OC info are in Sig.

Though for those of you wondering why the Proc seems to be cooler than ambient (yes its correct) its because the air in the case itself is warmer than ambient and therefore the proc is at ambient and the case/mobo is above that..reason for this is as follows.

The mobo temp sensor is near the PSU (which is almost the hottest thing in my case) and the case sensor is over near my HDD/CD drives and PSU (so they register higher. obviously)

Also note that what I refer to as 'ambient' is what my thermostat which is located around the corner from my computer reads.

Also, it is aircooled, but I dont know the dBa yet since havent borrowed sensor from friend (but it is helluva loud :) ) louder than the Dual Xeon server sitting next to me

well i just reformatted so this caught me at a time when i ACTUALY HAD AN IDLE TEMP!!! its amazing... and i just lapped my sink so my temps dropped from like 45 to 39 load:D

Update: I've installed the new heatsink, and the temps are 16C lower, even before the Arctic Silver has had time to set. Furthermore, since I'm using a Vantec Stealth as the heatsink fan, the computer is much quieter.

Swiftech MCX462+ with dual 50CFM 80mm nidec fans, two 80mm 50CFM sunon fans, one 92mm sunon exhaust fan, and both fans in the true550 turned up to maximum.

<50C load w/115W CPU dissipation

The intentions are in the right place, but this poll is meaningless without ambient temp data. 42C is a great load temp if your case or room temp is 25-30C, but it's terrible if your ambient temp is 15-20C.

A better poll would be: load: ambient + 0C to ambient + 5C ..
ambient + 5C to ambient + 10C,
and so forth.

This is why heatsinks are rated in C/W. So that given your case temp and heat load, you can estimate out what the temp will be. Just a small point. Nice idea! :) -- Paul

Last edited:
Dually 40C & 43C with ambient around 21C (for the room, which my rigs keep nice and warm in the winter) when under load. I have no clue about about idle since all my rigs fold so there is no such thing in my network:D

DWolf:cool:

Last edited:
macklin01 said:
The intentions are in the right place, but this poll is meaningless without ambient temp data. 42C is a great load temp if your case or room temp is 25-30C, but it's terrible if your ambient temp is 15-20C.

A better poll would be: load: ambient + 0C to ambient + 5C ..
ambient + 5C to ambient + 10C,
and so forth.

This is why heatsinks are rated in C/W. So that given your case temp and heat load, you can estimate out what the temp will be. Just a small point. Nice idea! :) -- Paul

I was orginally thinking along those lines but due to limitations in the Poll I decided to go with the way it is.
(IYou can post your Ambient temperatures here as well.)

Its not really meant to be an accurate Poll but mearly a look at what people are running temperature wise.

I may well post a new Poll including degrees above ambient, as this will provide an interesting look at temperatures. However its still not that accurate and people monitor temperatures with different Accuracy (Diodes etc).
I could add another two options along the lines of Diode, or Thermistor but whether this will be any use is another question, as you wouldn't know what temperature related where. Although it could give a clear average.
Another idea is to post a c/w rating, you could work out the c/w with the Formula and this would be even more accurate, for instance if your c/w is 0.20/.025 you could select that option...

So far I'm very impressed with the Positive Feedback in this Thread, so much so I may well post one of the latter.
Before I do though it may be a good idea to post some suggestions. I'd appreciate them via PM as not to clog up this Thread. :)

Thanks all!
M_N

Back