Registered

Max Length of cables?

I am building my computer semi-permanently into my desk in a completely custom enclosure with the hope of separating myself from all noise making devices (fans, etc.). However, it would be nice to have CD drives closer at hand. Is there a maximum effective length of IDE cables before I experience performance losses?

I think the standard says no more than 18 inches. I've seen some 24 inch cables out there, but I'm not sure I try to go much further than that.

I have been using 28" cables in a large full tower, and to date haven't shown any data loss problems. I wouldn't recommend going much longer than that.

Official X-Hour Man
    Isn't 36" the absolute maximum?

Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior Wicked Klown's Avatar
    So far the longest I have seen is 36". However they do tell you try and stay at or around 18". Right now I have mine on a 24" and so far so good.
    Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus

Inactive Moderator
    Shorter is better. 18" is the official maximum and I have only exceeded that once (For the DVD drive in my dual box). I don't recommend running your primary HD on anything longer than 18".
    Used to be awesome
    Heatware

My cd rom is on a 36" cable because I'm using a full tower. My hard drives however are only on a 18" cable.
    Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Registered

Thanks guys

Many thanks for the responses! I'll just be mounting the cd drives "remotely". Thank god Antec installs 45' power cords on their power supplies haha