• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Length of cables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blindside

Registered
I am building my computer semi-permanently into my desk in a completely custom enclosure with the hope of separating myself from all noise making devices (fans, etc.). However, it would be nice to have CD drives closer at hand. Is there a maximum effective length of IDE cables before I experience performance losses?

I think the standard says no more than 18 inches. I've seen some 24 inch cables out there, but I'm not sure I try to go much further than that.

I have been using 28" cables in a large full tower, and to date haven't shown any data loss problems. I wouldn't recommend going much longer than that.

So far the longest I have seen is 36". However they do tell you try and stay at or around 18". Right now I have mine on a 24" and so far so good.

Shorter is better. 18" is the official maximum and I have only exceeded that once (For the DVD drive in my dual box). I don't recommend running your primary HD on anything longer than 18".

Thanks guys

Many thanks for the responses! I'll just be mounting the cd drives "remotely". Thank god Antec installs 45' power cords on their power supplies haha

Back