• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial or Kingson hyperX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

I'm looking to get a stick of 256mb PC2700, then pick up another one down the road. Should I get the Crucial which is only $39, or would there be a benefit to going with the Kingston HyperX Which is like $8 more? If it's going to be the same, I'll just go crucial. I do hope to OC mildly, maybe more in the future... Any other brands I should know about? I can't spend much more than the hyperX costs, so nobody tell me to get XMS PC3500 or anything.

Thanks!

I just picked up some HyperX PC3000. All seems well so far at 180MHz 2-2-2-1T, default voltage. I know that this is still actually below spec, but above this fsb my hd usually gets corrupted.

8 BUCKS?!?!?! This is about 8 bucks?!?!

The Kingston HYPER series looks good on paper in that it is CAS 2 CL 2 ram made to run at the fastest memory timings. It's not expensive compared to Corsair XMS. I dont know if the Kingston Hyper can take OCing the FSB. If so it would be a cheap alternative to Corsair XMS.

OTOH Crucial, for all their claims of quality which may very well be true, does NOT sell CAS 2 CL2 ram. I e mailed them back and forth about this and said " If I cant OC the ram OR run it at the fastest memory timings then why would I pay extra for Crucial when it can get PNY on sale at Comp USA for less"?

Back