• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XSonic Aluminum Case Review (Xoxide.com case)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
because i don't have a dual channel p4 board yet. the Abit BD7II is a single channel ddr board.

and 512mb is enough for that system anyways.

Actually, even though the AthlonXP is really starved for bandwidth - much more so than the P4, you can't really compare the two because they are very different architectures. The P4 has support for higher bandwidth in the chip itself, and in the chipsets of course, but the Athlon shows greater increases with just a little more bandwidth. I suggest you read up on pipelineing and all the other things that make up the difference between the P4 and the K7.

when my best 3dmark score on my p4 system at 3.4ghz (with single channel DDR) with my 9500pro is around 15200 and best score on my amd system at 2.5ghz with dual channel with the same card is 13011, i tend to notice things.

now, that being said i understand that its an artificial benchmark and shouldn't be necessarily relied upon, but come on! thats over 2000 points difference.

i'll keep playing around with the amd til newegg contacts me about the rma/return/swap. but seeing as i can't set the fsb higher than 199 (since it sets it back to 199 no matter what i do) i'm not sure that i'm going to see any higher numbers.

Mark Larson said:
Actually, even though the AthlonXP is really starved for bandwidth - much more so than the P4, you can't really compare the two because they are very different architectures. The P4 has support for higher bandwidth in the chip itself, and in the chipsets of course, but the Athlon shows greater increases with just a little more bandwidth. I suggest you read up on pipelineing and all the other things that make up the difference between the P4 and the K7.

This is a very simple explanation why PIVs do better with more memory bandwidth. http://www.overclockers.com/tips00157/

Yodums said:
Nice case.. On another note, clean up those wires! :)
the only wires that are obtuse are the ones for the side panel fan. gotta figure out how to get them out of sight. the rest aren't too bad. got them crammed into the drive bays and twisted around each other.

Maxvla said:
when my best 3dmark score on my p4 system at 3.4ghz (with single channel DDR) with my 9500pro is around 15200 and best score on my amd system at 2.5ghz with dual channel with the same card is 13011, i tend to notice things.

You need to do some more tweaking! I got 12k with a ti4200 and 144fsb on a pally XP2000. My memory was at 144, too. :p

not tweaking.. i know how to tweak. i got 14,133 out of a ti4400 and 2600mhz p4.

i was pulling everything i could get out of that system.

Maxvla said:
Actually its a Chieftec case. Says so right on Xoxide's website.

after further review of Antec Lan Boy pics i have decided they are one in the same (albeit some minor modifications and front facia work have been done)

now who really makes the case? Antec or Chieftec?

Chen Ming is the actual manufacturer of the Antec, Chieftec, and many other sellers of both this case and the more familiar "dragon" or SX830/840/1030/1040 towers. Antec manufacturers nothing, the cases are Chen Ming, the fans top motor or Sunon, the power supplies Channel Well. Basically, the Lite-On newegg has for 72 bucks with the spiffy 120mm fan openings is the only case I've seen that is not a Chen Ming that competes in terms of value.

I'm starting to hate you Maxvla.. You have nearly the same specs as the system I plan on buying and now that I have seen this case I want it too.. Why must your comp be so identical to mine???

Shucks...I would be thinking...This guy knows his s***...Looks like someone who knows how to do their research...Top notch everything...Considering the money spent I really dont think you could do much better performance versus money spent for a AMD solution...I love it...makes life much easier for me...Found a case that I really like the looks of and get and unbiased review from one of the guys here at overclockers...Good stuff...Good information...:)

I have done a lot of research too.. It's pretty funny because my system turned out almost identical to this one.. Except a few changes..
SK-7 w/smartfan 2, sparkle 400W PSU, and Im getting 512MB Twinmos 3200.., not a Gig of smasung, but its very much alike. Im getting the 2100+ Tbred B, 9500pro, WD 80GB 8MB cache, and 8RDA+ too I even am going to buy a lite-on CDRW!

just a question:
What size fans did you use?? 80MM? If oyu used something bigger was it any problem to install?? I would pefere 120MM if I could get them, but Im not sure they will fit.

i think I am sold on the case too....... great choices Maxvla

well if its any consolation i already had the liteon and WD and slk800/ystech fan.

the rest of the parts are pretty standard top of the line stuff cept the 9500pro which i had a deal i couldn't refuse on it.

also the epox board isn't going to stay the same for long so just another thing that will be different.

not sure what you mean about fan sizes. mine are all 80mm. the case comes with the 2 led 80mm fans.

Back