• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zip ties as hose clamps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
I just wanted to know how many people have used these and if they have leaked for you. The block I made leaves little room for worm clamps, so I'm looking at alternatives. I'm probably going to run out and get some and try it, but I'd like to hear from other's.

I think if you're in a pinch they should do, although removal without nicking the tubing in the future could prove difficult.

Wangster said:
I think if you're in a pinch they should do, although removal without nicking the tubing in the future could prove difficult.

Easy to remove, just use a wire cutter on the connector :D

:D You have better spatial perception and precision than I do then. I use wire cutters too but 9 out of 10 times I'll ever so slightly nick the item it was tied on to.

I'm using Vinyl, so I'll just replace the piece that I damage. So far no one's against the idea.

well, make sure you get ties of decent width. the problem with zip ties might be that little area on the locking head where the rest of the tie inserts. that right angle bend there may or may not leak. give it a shot though, a bag of the things only costs like $1-2 right? couldnt hurt to try

i dont see why some one would risk a 2000+ computer system with a 2 cent zip tie, when you can get a 4 pack of good worm drive hose clamps for a buck. I for one would never risk one of my 3 water cooled systems with a zip tie, i know some people do it and have no problems, but i am not going to risk my system on it. in a pinch i might use a cheap hose clamp from safeway if i found out i was short one, but it would be replaced asap.

there is nothing wrong with zip ties, just because they are cheap. as long as u use two, ,with connecters opposite each other, you are fine. much better looking than ugly hose clamps, too.

Funny... I jus put it together. I have 2 worm clamps in there and the rest are zip ties. I had 2 leaks. Can you guess where they were?

If you guessed the worm clamp, then pat yourself on the back. I put one on my pump and one on the brass hose barb on my core. BOTH leaked. All I had to do was tighten the core one, but it took.... a ZIP TIE to stop the pump from leaking!

I'm going to have to experiment with this.

I wouldn't use the 200 for a buck translucent nylon ones though, I'd go for the automotive rated black ones (like they use for CV boots etc) at about the same width as a hose clamp. Then you grab the tail with pliers and shove on the ratchet end with a big blunt screwdriver at the same time, and you might get it tight enough to work.

Road Warrior

If it was me i would never use zip tie's unless it was just a precaution i.e. it was a tight fit over the barb already . I always use jubilee clips. Thats just me tho, there are plenty of people that use them with no problems.

Re: Zip Ties for Hose Clamps

Just my 2 cents ... zip ties are OK in a pinch if you are doing some temporary work with NEW vinyl tubing. Vinyl tubing should never be used long term as it gets hard and brittle after a few months, and zip ties do little good at that point.

Best bet, use ether-based urethane tubing which will last forever. then, Zip ties OK, snap grip clamps better, Oediker stepless metal clamps best (the seal lasts forever!). Avoid typical screw type "radiator" clamps ... not meant for anything critical.

Good luck,

Koooler King

I use 4mm zip ties and loop them around twice such that the ratchet isn't in contact with the tubing. I grab the end with pliers and pull hard. The seal is pretty good, 360* all around

I have used zip ties with great success. I use the really small ones (color matched to the wire sheathing and other stuff) on barb fittings, two on each...one on each of the ribs closest to the fitting's base.

No leaks. :D

ok here are a few problems with useing cable (or zip) ties

1. they stretch over time - which would result in a leak developing

2. normal 'natural' coloured ties also degrade in UV light, so make sure you are using a case that dosn't have a window, is open most of the time or has a UV light in it

Back