• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to use a laptop LCD in your system? Read here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have actually just seen people strip down normal flat panel LCD's and make a case panel out of them. These really aren't any cheaper though.

killer7 said:
I have actually just seen people strip down normal flat panel LCD's and make a case panel out of them. These really aren't any cheaper though.
Somewhat more convenient though. You don't have to mess with tracking down a compatible LCD controller because it's already right in front of you.

You got to detach the laptop screen..make a stand...and thats the easiest crap...Getting it to hook up to the pc is hard...Laptop LCDs are universal...however the mounts on the logic board are propriatary..which means each brand has there own connections to the motherboard and most are either a ribbon cabel consisting of 20 + wires or a wired connection also contaning 20 + wires..some have 2 connections. You need a schematic of the lcd to figure out a connection to make your own. There are companys that take your LCD and provide a card for it to connect to your PC..however these at this time are PCI cards and consist of low graphics...you can not game with them. 2 to 8 mb PCI video cards are what they come with...moded from toshiba satellite laptop video cards. I am a tech and I have an electrician that works with me...we have looked at nearly every brand of lcd and have yet to find one that will work with a home mod....which means 15 pins same as a standard monitor cable..here is a monitor pin out..maybe someone here will get lucky..

1 RED
2 GREEN
3 BLUE
4 ID2
5 GND TEST
6 GND
7 GND
8 GND
9 NC
10 GND
11 ID0
12 ID1
13 HS
14 VS
14 VS
15 ID3

this might be a stupid question but here goes... how do you connect another LCD to your system? *gets ready to be flamed*

second vid

Add a second PCi video card...you can get Geforce cards in PCI as well as nice ATI cards. Your OS will support dual cards and you can run wide screen or span them

what are the advantages? i can understand running two LCDs if u use Linux since u can set up dummy terminals... but what's the use if ur on the windows OS?

for overclockers its good for a monitoring system while gaming..for me I use my mini screen for mp3 playing while gaming...I dont need to exit or minimize a game to select music.
thus I dont get fragged. Its also great for web page design...you can run dreamweaver and photoshop at the same time..
i could go on and on......:)

is there a step by step tutorial on how u install a mini screen? what do u need?

no step by step..but the mini lcd is 5" it fits where my 3.5 inch bays are. The screen runs off 12v and has an rca jack input...my video card has rca out geforce 4...i just modded it to fit in the front of the case and have a nice on/off switch in the back.
lcdmod2.jpg

SaaaaWeeeeeet Shayne. :)

Friend of mine just got a laptop that doesn't work. So if I can get the lcd controller off the mb I can use the lcd?

You can if you get the specs of the controller ie: voltage and pinout to lcd. then you would mod that to your rca out on a video card.

KfistoRok said:
SaaaaWeeeeeet Shayne. :)

Friend of mine just got a laptop that doesn't work. So if I can get the lcd controller off the mb I can use the lcd?

No. There is no controller hardware inside a laptop that is not integrated into the motherboard.

An LCD controller is made to interface the LCD hardware with either a video card, or an NTSC or PAL input (RCA or S-Video).

lcd

the lcd is from the car audio shop..one that is supposed to go in a visor....12v and an rca input

Shayne said:
no step by step..but the mini lcd is 5" it fits where my 3.5 inch bays are. The screen runs off 12v and has an rca jack input...my video card has rca out geforce 4...i just modded it to fit in the front of the case and have a nice on/off switch in the back.
lcdmod2.jpg

That looks cool, is it practical though or just for looks? :)

i have an old laptop and i wanna use the screen but i dont understand all this info in this thred??????
so i got the screen what else do i need >????

Back