• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to use a laptop LCD in your system? Read here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wassup

it is practical in only a few ways..and then again its not...I like to have my winamp running in it while I browse the web or work on photos....when I game I can run windows media in it to play music and control it via keyboard..so I dont need to minimize game or risk a frag to choose music. It looks cool and the LCD was given to me for free...so what else can I do with it...

you can not use your laptop lcd in your pc unless you get a converter...as this topic mentions several times....go to
www.earthlcd.com

We just used a old sharp lcd flat panel TV/Monitor an attached it to our case. It folds in aside the case when not needed and when out is usefull for a lot of different things, like cartoons and star trek reruns when doing... UGH!- work on it!

See it here

http://www.pbase.com/tweaker/inbox

ff

you cant get a lcd /tv on ebay for under $390 nowadays.
I paid 350 last one I got..and it came with a remote.

Not entirely a home based PC, but a PC none the less.

PC Music Boxes

Not your conventional pc's I admit, these ae designed for mobile DJ's etc... they are flight cases with built in PC's and TFT screens, the screen fold up/down and the cases also feature mixers and software controllers.

I ahve one of these in my room here, I don't use it as my main PC, but when I want to do some mixing, it's cool, I ccan also stream live over the net with it :)

The limitation to PC design is purley everyones imagination!

i just inherited a ~6" lcd that was attached in a car. i dont know hardly anything about this, and want to use it in a setup like the one shayne has. the lcd has 2 ribbon like cables that connect to another board, and that board connects to another board that was in a vcr i think, and has rca/composite input. how do i connect the power to anything, as it is some weird power connector i have never seen before.

came across this yesterday. use it how you want I guess.

Heres the pinouts for the NEC TFT if anyone needs them...

Pin No. Symbol Function
1 GND Ground
2 DCLK Dot clock
3 GND Ground
4 Hsync Horizontal sync
5 Vsync Vertical sync
6 GND Ground
7 GND Ground
8 GND Ground
9 R0 Red data (LSB)
10 R1 Red data
11 R2 Red data
12 GND Ground
13 R3 Red data
14 R4 Red data
15 R5 Red data (MSB)
16 GND Ground
17 GND Ground
18 GND Ground
19 G0 Green data (LSB)
20 G1 Green data
21 G2 Green data
22 GND Ground
23 G3 Green data
24 G4 Green data
25 G5 Green data (MSB)
26 GND Ground
27 GND Ground
28 GND Ground
29 B0 Blue data (LSB)
30 B1 Blue data
31 B2 Blue data
32 GND Ground
33 B3 Blue data
34 B4 Blue data
35 B5 Blue data (MSB)
36 GND Ground
37 DE Data / Display enable
38 Vcc 3.3 v
39 Vcc 3.3 v
40 Vcc 3.3 v
Theres one more pin, which is 41: MODE Timing mode select, which is listed as H=Fixed mode, or L /open (assume it means not connected) = DE mode

And heres the I-Opener LCD pinouts

I-opener CN2

Pin No. Symbol Function
1 G4 Green Data
2 G5 Green Data (MSB)
3 R0 Red data (LSB)
4 R1 Red data
5 Vss/Ground Ground
6 R2 Red data
7 R3 Red data
8 R4 Red data
9 R5 Red data (MSB)
10 Vss/Ground Ground
11 B2 Blue data
12 B3 Blue data
13 B4 Blue data
14 B5 Blue data (MSB)
15 Vss/GND Ground
16 G0 Green data (LSB)
17 G1 Green data
18 G2 Green data
19 G3 Green data
20 Vss/GND Ground
21 Notch Not connected
22 LP/Hsync Horizontal sync.
23 YD/Vsync Vertical sync.
24 XCLK Dot clock?
25 Vss/GND Ground
26 VCON Contrast
27 DISP/ENVEE Enable VEE? Display enable?
28 Vdd/3.3v 3.3v
29 Vdd/3.3v 3.3v
30 Vdd/3.3v 3.3v

Okay assuming, (there I go again...making an *** outta myself) the pinouts are correct, I get this:
PHP:
TFT pin LCD cable   Pin Description
24     1 G4   Green data
25     2 G5   Green data (MSB)
9       3 R0   Red     data (LSB)
10     4 R1   Red     data
7       5 GND
11     6 R2   Red     data
13     7 R3   Red     data
14     8 R4   Red     data 
15     9 R5   Red     data (MSB)
27   10 GND
31   11 B2   Blue     data
33   12 B3   Blue     data
34   13 B4   Blue     data 
35   14 B5   Blue     data (MSB)
17   15 GND
19   16 G0   Green  data (LSB)
20   17 GND
21   18 G2   Green  data
23   19 G3   Green  data
3     20 GND
N/C 21 Not connected
4     22 Hsync
5     23 Vsync
2     24 XCLK / Dot clock
1     25 GND
VCON 26 Contrast?
37   27 DE / Disp / Envee
38   28 3.3v
39   29 3.3v
40   30 3.3v

if you tell us how many wires an what colors theya re it might be able to help, think of it like this, if it was in a car then it used 12volts DC, there should at LEAST be a 12 volt wire and a GND Wire, if those are the only wires then you can take a spare male molex connector and connect the GND to the black wire which is the 12volt ground gnd to your PSU, and the 12Volt from your screen to the 12 volt coming from the psu, its either red or yellow, lol i know someone will reply and correct me.

If you dont wanna do it that way you can find an old transformer that plugs into th wall like the one a portable cd player or printers use, and look on the back and find one that has a 12Volt output and you can splice that to a switch then to your LCD screen. if the lcd has more than three wires for power then i dont know what to tell you without epirimenting, the only wires i can see it having are GND 12V Constent and 12VMomentary to tell it when to turn on, like the cars ignition.

well, this is a very informative sticky, but basically it has crushed my hopes of using my recently salvaged laptop lcd screen for anything other than a big coaster. or has anyone else with this dream ever realized it?

Does anyone know if i can attach a gameboy-screen ??? does it need a controller ??? i think it should be very simple (maybe it has a resol. of 20 x 20 :p)

Shayne said:
no step by step..but the mini lcd is 5" it fits where my 3.5 inch bays are. The screen runs off 12v and has an rca jack input...my video card has rca out geforce 4...i just modded it to fit in the front of the case and have a nice on/off switch in the back.
lcdmod2.jpg

Hey could you run that Mini-LCD as a second monitor in a twin monitor setup, so you could play games on the big screen and have winamp running on the desktop in the other mini one?

GlitchOfDoom said:

Hey could you run that Mini-LCD as a second monitor in a twin monitor setup, so you could play games on the big screen and have winamp running on the desktop in the other mini one?

I believe that is how it is currently set up :)

Hmmm. Everyone says that the problem with hooking a laptop screen to a regular computer is that the laptop screen is digital and the computer graphics card is anaglog. My question is... Isn't the output for a flatscreen monitor digital? I know I have a geforce 3 card that I know has this out put and I am wondering if it is digital. Perhaps this is the secret we all are looking for? Any thoughts?

Hummm so heres the deal, I have the lcd out of an old laptop with im guesing the ocntroller, it has a buch of plugs that the lcd goes into but how would you get power to the labtop , like which wires are hot, and there is some way atleast i think to go directly from the lcd to a video out , someone had a thread on here not to long ago where they took the lcd out of a ps1 and wired it directly to the video out on there card, but anyways would someone post a link to more info on wiring without a controller

Like I said.... The downfall is that your standard computer AGP video card is analog out and your LCDs are digital... You need some type of converter to make the analog signal to be digital. Now, once again, I wonder if an AGP card with a Flat Screen Monitor connection is digital out? If so, it would be theoretically possible to wire directly to the card. Does anyone know?

Back