• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to use a laptop LCD in your system? Read here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok well my Q isant 100% new but this is how it is.
i have a local computer depo were ppl donate things and they buy some things then they sell what they can and melt the rest.
well they got all these ibm thinkpad's and there get some other older laptops (have only flopy drive)
so i have the old original nintendo and i only want to play the old school mario on it in my car (2004 ford explorer sport)
so i wana hook a lcd screen up to the video port so i can play it on the lcd (ya know the ports on ps2's its the same all i need is the ribons (on the lcd to be wired to the video port)

so i can play games on a long drive

laptop lcd to video port HOW???
this way i could still use it on a comp (would get s video fom vga to go into the video port on the lcd (one i wire the video port)

so how?

Do any of you know what a MonoRail is?

Neat all in one computer...

Anyways, I have one, and I was wondering, since its NOT a laptop and mainly uses PC components, and I DID find the inverter for it, and its NOT onboard, could I possibly hook the lcd/inverter up to my computer?

Shayne,
You said that some companies would build a custom controller card based off the Toshiba video card.
Well, I have a broken Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT with a known good LCD and video card. The video card seems to be on a detachable daughterboard, which has the Chips&Technologies F6550 GPU and 4 RAM chips. You said that was a PCI adisplay adapter (if i read correctly). My question is, is there any way to connect this as a secondary video card in my PC? (I have all the original laptop parts, except the battery, hard drive, and CD drive.)

The LCD is a Sharp LQ11S343 [EDIT: it's 353], and I can't find any stats online. I can, however, find pinouts of similar Sharp LCDs.

[EDIT: Just ran into this post again. I have found LCD controllers but one MFR won't sell individual due to some policy, another says it's not specifically compatible; connecting cable is $43 from www.quadrangleproducts.com -- too much]

Last edited:
yup

DanaG said:
Shayne,
You said that some companies would build a custom controller card based off the Toshiba video card.
Well, I have a broken Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT with a known good LCD and video card. The video card seems to be on a detachable daughterboard, which has the Chips&Technologies F6550 GPU and 4 RAM chips. You said that was a PCI adisplay adapter (if i read correctly). My question is, is there any way to connect this as a secondary video card in my PC? (I have all the original laptop parts, except the battery, hard drive, and CD drive.)

The LCD is a Sharp LQ11S343 or 434 (can't remember, I'm at school), and I can't find any stats online. I can, however, find pinouts of similar Sharp LCDs.

It is a company called www.earthlcd.com
if you look closely at their mods you will see the toshiba laptop video card integrated onto another card to acomplish the card.
Problem is they are not gamers quality yet....but they are perfect for everything else

Ive got a tiny lcd from a kodak dc2000 camera. Can it possible to use this?

it is practical in only a few ways..and then again its not...I like to have my winamp running in it while I browse the web or work on photos....when I game I can run windows media in it to play music and control it via keyboard..so I dont need to minimize game or risk a frag to choose music. It looks cool and the LCD was given to me for free...so what else can I do with it...

Hey, how do you set it up so you dont have to minimize? i run dual monitors and you cant exactly go from one screen to another....unless your not playin full screen?

Wouldnt it be cool if that could be rigged up to be a touch screen?

Also, using a laptop screen, would that last anywhere as long as a regular LCD?

would this work ?
I have a laptop (sharp L something :-/ ) LCD and inverter
i would like to have it as a 2nd monitor

how about if i bought a 2.5" LCD with a RCA (Cheap on Ebay $35) and just swapped the LCD would/could that work ?
2.5 " LCD
thanx
Borgy

DiViNeR said:
Hey there I have a car LCD 7.2inch 1048x243 res and full colour whats the easiest way to mod it to my comp. It has what seems to be a S-video cable but nothing ive tried can power it

any help you could give would be great;)

heres a link to the product it is tht TAIHUA model W-0702

www.china-tft.com/Product/view_product.asp?id=409&company=

I realize this is an old post...... but hopefully I can contribute.
Some S-Video-looking connectors have power built into them. I have one on a security camera. I will have to look up which pins are power and how much, so reply here if it would be beneficial so I don't waste time testing this if you can't use it (again, due to oldness of your post... I dont know if you can still use this info).

pik4chu said:
came across this yesterday. use it how you want I guess.

i have a NEC laptop display some place...assuming i have this information i could feasably use the info stated about with monitor pin outs and then the pinouts for the NEC display and connect it directly...

also, people seem to forget that laptop LCDs have controlls used through the Fn= A key on the keyboard so in ones mind that would explain some of the extra pin outs

Sorry I know its an old topic, but I have an extra LCD but the screen isn't working, but does power on. So basically, does the controller and inverter board work with any screen or do I have to get that specific screen?

Bump

Just a friendly heads up on a nice 8" proven-strippable lcd. While this isn't an lcd ripped from a laptop, i figured the curious might like this option better. All my information was gleaned from diy projector websites. Please excuse my ad-hoc posting style :)

First the LCD:
The Hami 8" lcd TV, SVGA 800x600, w/vga input, 300:1, 25ms, TV-tuner + remote $190 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3698&item=5208826683&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW ( ebay merchant: fencolo )

Note: After you strip the monitor, you'll need to extend one of the flat-folding-cables (FFC's) with this 6" 20pin FFC extension. That cable can be purchased at mouser.com for much less though you'll have to dig for it. It's the flat white cable visible in the pic below. That cable is secured via folding clamps so you'll have to lift the clamp to release it (careful, don't go yanking on the cable itself!). The cable needs to be extended so the one controller board can bend back far enough.

Translator link to a german DIY forum with plenty of details on this lcd. (slow loading and you'll probably have to cut and paste the link to another browser window, might need to use IE as my Firefox isn't displaying their uploaded pics):

Btw, this lcd is also kick-butt for a smaller diy projector.

Attachments

• malschnellgemacht.jpg
    malschnellgemacht.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,684
MadSkillzMan said:
hey SJetski you into the DIY Projector scene? What kind of setup you got?
yes, just recently completed my project as a matter of fact. Been following the scene though for about 8 or 9 months.

Built a textbook Lumenlab "straightshooter" design. My list of parts include:
- 400w electronic ballast from lumenlab ("ultimate light kit")
- 400w S400D ushio bulb, currently top of the line for diy projection
- standard lense kit from lumenlab. Produces as sharp a picture as you can get. drawback is 1:1 throw ratio.
- 15" Benq FP591 lcd, 450:1, 16ms, vga + dvi. I have both inputs hooked up for versatility.
- stereotypical big-box enclosure
- 120mm panaflow as an exhaust fan, the intake opening remains passive + filtered.
- dedicated htpc to feed it video: Nforce2, [email protected] etc etc

Imho it's the htpc that has makes the biggest difference in picture quality. A dvd player w/transcoder just cannot compete with an htpc + appropriate software.

Shayne said:
I bought a regular LCD screen by a company called SYS
you can get them on Ebay...I pulled of the body and mounted it in a briefcase...the power adapter was mainlined directly into my pc power supply it worked great and cost under $350.
front%20view.jpg

LCD%20shot%20speakers%20on%20right.jpg

Pioneer%20DVD.jpg

Inside%20shot.jpg

nice

marry me?

Back