• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sloppy Case- Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

This is how bad my case looks like:

casewires001.jpg

This is how good one of our own members case is. This is how neat I want it to look:

107-0727_IMG.jpg

Any suggestions? I have rounded cables, but the power cables are my problem. There are just too many of them.

Tie wrap all of the power cords, then cover with split loom/shrink wrap and tuck them behind the drive bays.

:eek::eek::eek: Iand I thought mine was bad. sorry, anyways, I would try pushing all the power cords back behind the 5.25" bays and running the wires along the back of the drives. that way the knot of cords and such are in between the drive cage and side panel, mostly out of sight. Next for the fans on the left try running the cables along the back edges of the fans and along that metal crosspiece (that the PSU seems to rest on) and push it to the back as well. that should help greatly.

*edit* oh ya, and the ones you cant hide use split loom, on them (like what penguin said)

wow... that's an amazing looking case (2nd one). .. i doubt you'll be able to get it like that.. but yah...

mine isn't that bad, i have all of the unnecessary cables shoved behind the 5.25" bays as well... sometimes it makes me wonder whether we need them at all ...

Thats what my case used to look like.

Take any power cables u dont need and put them behind the motherboard tray and case side.

Once you have plugged in the power cables you need push the excess wires behind the drive bays as suggested. If possible make use of the rails that your psu sits on. You can see in the pic of my case interior the motherboard power cable runs alony one. I have more cables running along the other one as well.

inside.jpg

There are alot of guides to help tidy up pc insdes.

Quite a good one here
http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/cleanup/int_antec.shtml

case007.JPG

Well this is what it looks like now. It's much better, but it could still use some hose and such.

~JeFF

EDIT: By cleaning up the wires and swapping a rear case fan to the front, I managed to pick up my CPU temp (under load) from around 42C max to 37C max. Thats a VERY big decrease in temperature. And by making more incoming air, I get higher case pressure, and less dust. So this was a very successful wire cleanup I must say. :)

~JeFF

yea mine isn't that bad, check the thread 'my case, finally' scroll down a bit for an updated link :) (in section alertantive modding btw)

The green case doesn't appear to have any RAM and it doesn't look like the IDE cables are attached to anything either.
No biggie bu it may be cheating slightly.

All you need is some sort of cable tying device and you can organise your wires easily. It looks like you have a digital doc with all those long black wires. I can't help you much there, mine werre always a hassle (too much trouble to move/remove when firmly attached).

Ugmore Baggage said:
The green case doesn't appear to have any RAM and it doesn't look like the IDE cables are attached to anything either.
No biggie bu it may be cheating slightly.

All you need is some sort of cable tying device and you can organise your wires easily. It looks like you have a digital doc with all those long black wires. I can't help you much there, mine werre always a hassle (too much trouble to move/remove when firmly attached).
There is a stick of ram in the left slot and the IDE's are plugged in the guy also used tie raps to hold the IDEs tight
*I have a solution you may fear open the power supply up and remove all the unused wires I have done this before on some mods I have done (in fact the briefcase project I am doing I did it and added 3 wires from the 120 line to power the pump and LCD) you could also leave an extra line for any extra drives in the future and tuck it above the PSU till you need it
PS Not to thread jack but “diggingforgold” I love your avatar.

Last edited:
Re: nightowl:

j2me_tech said:
what is the 4 white plastic thing with metal?
those are for the drives so they can slide in and out of the drive bays (makes it real easy to take out the drives)

Yep, avatar is about 8.5K, and has like 15 seconds of footage :).

Anyway- like I said, just by moving the wires out of the way a little, my temps went down drasticly. Anyone that has wires everywhere should do something about it, because temps will go down a lot.

BEFORE:
TEMPS: 42C cpu load / 29C chassis load
TNT2: 140F gpu load
casewires001.jpg

AFTER:
TEMPS: 37C cpu load / 25C chassis load
TNT2: 134F gpu load
case007.JPG

Wow, you can actually see my board now :D.

Last edited:
BTW, that was the only pic of their wiring i could find, and that was on the voodoo site, lol. (plus i didnt look past that)

i have an old copy of pcgamer, i was reading it the other day, and i looked, and there was a voodoo computer, and i didnt see any wires. i had to look closely to see any wires at all. THAT is the way to wire a computer.

Re: nightowl:

j2me_tech said:
what is the 4 white plastic thing with metal?

If you have a case that is well designed, they usually include these in the package. Removing 5.25in drives are a breeze, just push in the metal clips and the drive comes right out. No more taking off panels and spilling screws everywhere.

Now if my Chieftec had a mobo tray, dismanteling this thing for maintenence/dust cleaning would be a breeze. I could have this PC 100% dismantled in about 3 minutes.

Thats one of the things I like about this model.

diggingforgold said:

TEMPS: 37C cpu load / 25C chassis load
TNT2: 134F gpu load
case007.JPG

Wow, you can actually see my board now :D.

Looks like Soyo ?
:D

Big improvement!

Back