• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting affinity and locking it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enemy Down!

i have tried doing this, and followed the steps exactly.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can permanently set processor affinity for a non-operating system executable, on both Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0, by using the Imagecfg.exe tool from the \support\debug\i386 folder of a Windows NT 4.0 CD-ROM, or the Imagecfg.exe tool from the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit Supplement One.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
NOTE: Do NOT use imagecfg on any kernel operating system files.

quote:
To permanently set the processor affinity for your 32-bit executable, open a CMD prompt and type:

quote:
imagecfg -a 0xn \Path\yourprogram.exe

quote:
where 0xn is the affinity mask. The mask constrains your application to a specific CPU, from 0 - 31, where:

CPU MASK
0 0x1
1 0x2
2 0x4
3 0x8
4 0x10
5 0x20
6 0x40
7 0x80
8 0x100
etc

i got the imagecfg.exe file on the web (from some random site after a google search) and typed in the information exactly and i did not get the expected results. does anyone know why? do i have to move that imagecfg.exe file to the system32 or other windows directory in order for this to work?

also, if anyone has ever done this, when it "permanently sets the affinity, is it still set even after a re-boot? if so, how do you turn off the feature to allow the program to be accessed from any cpu?

Back